2016-2017 Deer Season Regulations - Public Comment Period

Discussion in 'Missouri Outdoor News' started by Mailman, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    [​IMG]

2016-2017 Deer Season Regulations - Public Comment Period

The Missouri Department of Conservation is accepting public comments on proposed changes to the 2016-2017 fall dear season. ​
    Changes to fall deer season structure for 2016-2017:

• Maintain current timing of the November portion and reduce the length from 11 to 9 days.
    • Expand the late youth portion to 3 days beginning the first Friday after Thanksgiving.
    • Reduce the length of the antlerless portion from 12 to 3 days and begin on the first Friday in December.
    • Eliminate the urban zones portion.
    Proposed regulation changes to fall deer season methods and limits for 2016-2017:

• Include crossbows as a legal method during the archery deer and turkey seasons.
    • Allow the use of crossbows during the fall firearms turkey season.
    • Reduce the limit of antlered deer from 3 to 2 during the combined archery and firearms deer hunting season, with no more than one antlered deer taken during the firearms deer hunting season and only one antlered deer taken prior to the November portion of the firearms deer hunting season.
    • Remove the hunting method exemption requirement related to use of crossbows.
    Missouri’s rulemaking process includes a 30-day public comment period. Comments related to the proposed regulation changes can be submitted to the Department from Oct. 2-31. Full verbiage of the proposed amendments and directions for submitting comments can be found online at http://mdc.mo.gov/node/24141. Written comments on specific proposals can also be mailed to Tom Draper, Regulations Committee Chairman, P.O. Box 180, Jefferson City, MO 65102-0180. ​

Michele Baumer
    Public Involvement Coordinator

573-522-4115, ext. 3350
    Michele.Baumer@mdc.mo.gov

2. lopester59

lopester59 Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Glad you posted it. I was going to post it but you beat me to it. It's not going to make any difference one way or the other. The powers that be have decided crossbows will be legal during the 2016 archery season. They really didn't care what folks thought when they proposed the changes they just had to go through the process. And I'm sure it will be a waste to time and effort to mail a comment to Tom Draper. It has been decided.

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Senior Hunter

This is true. They just want you to feel like you had a say and gave them your input. They are going to do what they want to do, the public is not going to persuade them to change their proposed regulations. I am sure their Public Relations dept is behind these.

4. Lazarus

Lazarus Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2014
    Needmore, serious
    What a waste of bandwidth. And mdc resources.

As has been noted, the decision has been made. All opposition will get you is another form letter of mdc smoke and mirrors. Let me save you the effort;

There. :boohoo:

5. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    I guess they are obligated to go thru this formality, but yes, I believe the decision has done been made.

6. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2007
    mo
    Just because they didn't do what you asked them to do doesn't mean that they ignored public opinion. There are plenty of people that want crossbows included.

7. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    They may not have ignored public opinion, but it sure looks as this 30 day public comment period is really just a formality and will have no bearing on the final outcome.

8. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    surely someone will find something new to say that was missed before, right?

9. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2007
    mo
    That is probably true. :rules:

10. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    We should all buy a crossbow and shoot as many deer that we legally can......Once the herd is thinned down to a few hundred deer maybe then they might actually listen to the public.:cool:

11. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Ive said this before, but... its not really whether they listened in THIS instance, its more of a deal where they had virtually the same or stronger input for other changes that DIDNT result in a change. So the question becomes, what is the criteria? Why does 50% approval elicit a change on crossbows, but not on season timing? Thats where I get confused....

12. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    they asked about a season change this same time they asked about a crossbow change, and it did not garner as much support. This was a serious request to respond to potential changes, not the same case as in 2007 that you keep holding to such high esteem.

13. Lazarus

Oct 9, 2014
    Needmore, serious
    .........furthermore, where were the "pro's" at all the meetings if there are so many people so passionate about it?

Public opinion aside, it shouldn't even be about public opinion necessarily. It should be about what's good for the resource. Right now it's not good for the resource.

14. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    my disapproval rating for the entire MDC and the Commission is at an all time low! Anyone know when the youth season falls the next two years? Those geniuses eliminated the potential of that to happen:eek:
    rock solid actions like that make me believe ya'alls koolaide is everclear!

15. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009

Did the terms by which a change should be made suddenly change from then to now??? That proposal cleared the same public input hurdle as the crossbow proposal, and then some. That was a serious request as well, and it had MORE support than this. Consistency is the issue here, at least for me.:wave:

16. OutbackBio

OutbackBio Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Kansas City
    I have typed and deleted 3 responses. You guys aren't worth the rise in blood pressure.
    Enjoy another beatch session!

17. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    Awe, it's okay!

18. Lazarus

Oct 9, 2014
    Needmore, serious
    Good deal. :cheers:

19. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I at first thought that I'd just accept their decisions but what the heck.....I'm sending in my thoughts and not pulling any punches. What they going to do....take back my hunting permits?

20. Lazarus

Oct 9, 2014
    Needmore, serious
    No, you're going to get a form letter back just about like the one I posted. You know, the one talking to you like you were the typical low information voter the mdc targets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.