2014 catdaddy trout forecast

Discussion in 'Trout & Fly Fishing' started by catdaddy, Jan 4, 2014.

1. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    I don't think they stock during off season/C&R if that's your observation.I personally never knew when Bennett stocked,seems they used to stock on 2-3 days a week....unlike mac springs,daily every evening.Ive never bought into the 2.5 stocked fish per angler the year before either....I think they try to keep it close but IMHO they stock by expected anglers and if expecting low attendance/rain/flooding they hold back.
    I went to Bennett a couple of times last year and it did seem fish averaged smaller.
    .....im still waiting for those bigger average fish since they changed limit from 5 to 4 per day years ago...hopefully the new bennett facilities provide such.:scared::stirpot:

2. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    The first couple years after they went to the four fish limit was awesome for size. We caught several limits in the 7-8# range. By year three the average size went down hill.

3. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    :shrug:may be my expectations were to high:shrug:probably I didn't like the idea from get go.

4. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    Lower your standards, that'll raise your expectations. Catch and release, it'll grow on you ;) Buy your feesh at Schnucks, taste a LOT better anyways :cheers:

5. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    this is good info.Last time I checked it was $16.99 a pound.I'd definitely save money....bait n tackle,gas,traveling back through wine country would save me a bundle....and buying at Schuncks helps me with paying boy's tuition/profit sharing.:D

6. knockemdeadd

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)

sooooo...you actually agree? :eek:

that oughta move me up to what...324? :eek:::trophy:

7. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    WOW:eek:...this is an amazing comeback and could be legendary!:eek:Pertinate info,no spell'n check,no quote's "fixt it for you",no name call'n/name dropping.....and almost 24 hours without a wave....proud of ya!Now if we can just get rid of yo snooty attitude to bait/spin fish'n,tent camp'n,and DIY fish'n......but I digress....keep up the good work!:bowing::trophy::cheers::hysterical:

8. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    :bowing::trophy:

Attached Files:

9. knockemdeadd

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    Shoot me a date, we'll see if I can work with it or not :thinking::whistle:

10. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n

:boohoo::boohoo:

Attached Files:

11. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    :cool::eek::

Attached Files:

12. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    On the White, On the Norfork, we have had little wadable water. They have been generating on all of the lakes on the White River system to respond to the increased power demand due to the brutally cold weather.
    The Corps of Engineers have been running significantly more water and that has benefitted the streamer fishing. To do this you need at least an eight weight fly rod, a heavy sink tip fly line and large articulated streamers. The idea is to bang the bank and strip the fly back to the boat. This is heavy work and requires advanced casting skills.There have been reports of a minor shad kill on the Norfork tail water below Norfork Dam. This is a natural phenomenon where threadfin shad in the lake die and are drawn through the generators at the dam. These bits of shad produce a feeding frenzy. This usually occurs during extremely cold weather and high levels of generation. Watch for gulls hitting the shad as they come through the generators. The best flies are white shad patterns. The conditions are promising for a shad kill on both the White and Norfork Rivers.
    ....this here is todays report from guide john berry[chop'd up so's it goes along with catdaddy's forecast:scared:]

13. knockemdeadd

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    Internet Scouter....I'm SURE it will be wall to wall now pfffttttt:stickfight:

14. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    ....yet another falsehood!I gets all me shad alerts via morse code while wearing helmet and foil cap,24/7,thru troutatalk.

15. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I think, the trout parks should go to the quick draw system, it seems to be working really well for the duckers...:wave:

16. bucks n bass

bucks n bass New Member

Aug 28, 2012
    With warmer weather moving back in Shawncat, what's your thoughts on the shad kill (major) still taking place? I've been going to Taney every year in Jan/Feb for the last 13 years and haven't seen a big shad kill that I was aware of.

17. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n

:eek:....:trophy: WELCOME TIM :grouphug:
    ....I see's yo need a much need'd break from whitetails general and there's no other place more welcoming,outdoorsy,corny as trout forum!:cheers:

18. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    .....taney has never had the trout kill that the white gets[that ive heard] and there can been a shad kill in summer[low o2 would be culprit IMHO]
    Taney/norfork has minor shad kills almost every year,which can be good/better to start feeding frenzy,as opposed to major sometime because fish gorge themselves and slow feeding.I personally think the cold weather will be a plus at all tailwaters this year because of the extra generation,shad gotta go deeper to get to warmer water....thus getting closer to turbines and getting sucked down river.So many variables that gotta go down right....and karma/clean living is one of em:rof2:
    Best advice I can give is do what I do,follow guide blogs/fish'n forums,call outfitters,keep yo rods by door and gas tank full....oh....and also work for a boss who loves fresh trout....kinda smooths over your first day back.Good luck!:cheers:

19. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I like trout fishing, I really do, wish I had more time to do it. Bought a cheapo fly rod a few years back, and have never used it. It's one of those BPS white river deals. Cheapo, I actually got it free, as an award for some good work done..:shrug:

Vic keeps telling me he will give me lessons, but have not taken him up yet.

Most of my trout fishing has been done Man style at Taneycomo... You know, play dough on the end of a hook, cooler full of beer, anchored on top of them.:wave:

Which reminds me, I need to go do that this year... Wanna go?:wave:

20. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Do you use bare hooks in the trout park so there is at least a challenge to it??