2008 Food Plot Pictorial - Forage Soybeans

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by horntagger, May 28, 2009.

1. horntagger

horntagger Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Southeast Missouri
    With the great help of others.

Here is Power Point Version with as much information that I could find in all my files.

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/video/mainfoodplot.pps

If that does not work here is pdf

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/video/foodplot3.pdf

For some of you that are thinking about planting Forage Ultra with Forage Soybean this year and for the ones that have planted already this year for the first time. Good Luck

Here are photos of my main food plot in Bollinger County, Missouri I hope your turn out as good as mine did last year. I planted two bags last year becuase I had never tried it and now six bags this year in all the food plots.

2. mrb

mrb New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Moberly, Mo

3. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter New Member

If I were a deer I think I would live right in the middle of it.

I planted Antler King Red Zone and a couple of other mixes this spring. I hope they do as good as yours did. Thanks for all the effort putting that together.

4. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Excellent horntagger,,great pictures!:2thumbsup:

5. Heart shot

Heart shot Active Member

Jul 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    Great pictorial - Look like you can really create some bedding and forage with that stuff.

6. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I got a bag of that stuff...looking forward to seeing what it will do. I was thinking about keeping it until time to put mow & then put in the WW but now I'm not sure . It seems to provide mucho cover but what about the grazing? Did they do much?

7. horntagger

Jun 30, 2003
    Southeast Missouri
    They tried to eat as much as they could any thing they could drag down from around 8 feet they would eat some of the photos of the beans are above my head show browse.

8. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

so let me see if I got this right .

OBTW thanks a bunch for going through all this effort.:eek::

you planted in early may? kinda early dontcha think?

but it appears to of worked out for ye cuz by July its 6 foot tall

the august pictures have me confused

are those vineing peas growing up the corn? I was going to throw in some Sun Flower seed for that purpose.

the Oct 10 pics .. what is planted next to it?

it appears by late Oct things are dieing off.

During Nov did you notice anything browsing on that stuff or was it just used as cover?.

I'm pretty much just a gun hunter & was going to usin it as a summer time attractant then mow then re seed with Turnips & WW. Or In your opinion should I leave it be & hunt it in late Nov. I have about a 1/2 acre in clover next to this projected area and am planning on doing about an acre of this ..."stuff"

Oh yea my PH sucks and it appears that wont change.....this year.

9. horntagger

Jun 30, 2003
    Southeast Missouri
    [rquote=1279836&tid=89417&author=beanpile]so let me see if I got this right .

OBTW thanks a bunch for going through all this effort.:eek::

you planted in early may? kinda early dontcha think? Yes, wanted to get things in waited till May 15th this year. Forage beans are type 7 and that is 144 day to maturity

but it appears to of worked out for ye cuz by July its 6 foot tall

the august pictures have me confused

are those vineing peas growing up the corn? I was going to throw in some Sun Flower seed for that purpose. I add sunflower to mine last year

The soybeans include two different stalk varieties growing 5-6ft. tall and a long maturity soybean that grows vines up to 20 ft. long. Both soybean varieties produce bean pods as well. We use a very palatable cowpea variety that is very attractive to whitetails. The exotic sweet sorghum variety grows and average of 10 ft tall; it is very sweet and attractive to whitetails. the variety of sorghum acts as a support plant for the vine soybeans, allowing the plant to grow up the stalk and reach for sunlight.

the Oct 10 pics .. what is planted next to it? Fall Perfect, and Turnips, Rape and Brassica - I had a winter plot next to a summer plot

it appears by late Oct things are dieing off.

During Nov did you notice anything browsing on that stuff or was it just used as cover?. Cover, this year I tried to plant in strips because I had a hard time seeing the deer in it so I have clover in between

I'm pretty much just a gun hunter & was going to usin it as a summer time attractant then mow then re seed with Turnips & WW. Or In your opinion should I leave it be & hunt it in late Nov. I have about a 1/2 acre in clover next to this projected area and am planning on doing about an acre of this ..."stuff" They suggest mowing down the strips and that depends on the type of cover you have, mine is it for the entire region. But now I have 20 acres of cut timber for them to hide in this year.

Oh yea my PH sucks and it appears that wont change.....this year.[ My started out low so they said as long as your in the 5's you should still get good results./rquote]

Hope all that helps