Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Perry
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last deer season I hooked a Buddy heater up to a full propane tank with a 10ft. hose. I could not get the heater to light, it was like the hose was stopped up. The heater ran great with the one pound bottles though. I have learned since that you have to slowly open the valve on a 20lb. tank when you have a longer hose connected to it or a safety will engage and cut off the flow, I think that is what happened. I now have to find a way to disengage that safety so the propane will flow again. I have turned the tank over and sloshed the liquid. I have whacked the valve also and so far it is still not giving up the propane. Anyone know how to disengage this safety?? Thanks.

· Registered
32,997 Posts
Last deer season I hooked a Buddy heater up to a full propane tank with a 10ft. hose. I could not get the heater to light, it was like the hose was stopped up. The heater ran great with the one pound bottles though. I have learned since that you have to slowly open the valve on a 20lb. tank when you have a longer hose connected to it or a safety will engage and cut off the flow, I think that is what happened. I now have to find a way to disengage that safety so the propane will flow again. I have turned the tank over and sloshed the liquid. I have whacked the valve also and so far it is still not giving up the propane. Anyone know how to disengage this safety?? Thanks.
The opd valve should only quick in if the tank has been over filled.

I'd just take it and swap it for a new one.

· Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Take the hose off, look inside the connector and use a nail or something to press the brass nipple inward to release the pressure while pointing away from you. That happened to me a couple of times

· Registered
4,622 Posts
We have had no problems running 4 of those setups the last 4 years or so, but I only crack the tank a 1/4 turn at most, there really is no need to turn a propane tank valve more than that, and it turns off quicker that way too.

· Perry
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not tried it without a hose or anything connected to the tank. I think the tank valve would shut it down if it is not already closed. I did put a propane tank gauge on the full tank and it registered only about half full. I will try the nail in the hose connecter, I assume this is on the tank, not the hose.

· Banned
11,379 Posts
It's an excessive flow check valve. You can hear them set if you open valve too fast and then hear them fall back down when you shut off your valve. The first quarter turn you have to go real slow or it will trip them.

· Registered
21,512 Posts
I have a filter on mine. Company said to have one with Bigger Tanks.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin uses 20# Tank to run Stove, Lantern and Buddy Heater.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.