20 gauge

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by plumbob, Feb 11, 2018.

1. plumbob

plumbob Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Dixon, MO
    Due to operating equipment and other military stuff for 20 years, doc said my neck is way jacked up. Started getting injections last week, doc said i may not be able to take the recoil of a 12 gauge anymore.

I already have went to a 20 gauge slug gun a few years ago, but I may need to replace my 835 for a 20. I predator hunt and turkey hunt here on Fort Wood, so shotgun is my gun of choice.

I have been reading that the 20 gauge turkey loads have really gotten better, I have never been one of those 40-50 yard turkey shooters.

Thinking a autoloader might be best, help the recoil a little more.

Sucks that I have to go this route, especially since I don't have any private land to hunt with the 223.

So if any of y'all see any good 20 gauges for sale, let me know

2. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Sorry to hear that. Predator loads for the twenty aren't nearly as well developed as for the 12 gauge. The newest turkey loads for the twenty can make it an honest 40 yard gun no problem. I'd look really hard for a Benelli M2 20 gauge. That scaled down little Benelli is a lightweight sweet handling murder gun. :)

3. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Many of my first Turkeys were killed with Mossberg 20Ga. Poly Choke, High Brass 2 3/4 #6 shot.

I have a 20Ga. Full Choke I put a Scope on for Slugs going to use it Turkey hunting but going with 3 inch #6 Shot.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin don't like Guns, too loud!

trappermark likes this.
  4. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    No fears at all about the 20 with the right combination being deadly on turkeys. If you can get some TSS #9 You will be amazed. If not, some Heavyshot #7 would be the next choice.

Satch, 20' and wingman like this.
  5. Bob58

Bob58 Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I have been happily killing turkeys for several years with a Remington 870 youth model 20ga. and Winchester 3" #4 either XX magnum or Supreme loads I suspect the 1100 or 1187 20Ga. would work as well.

6. plumbob

plumbob Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Dixon, MO
    Nice price tag on those Gary!!! Very nice though.

I'm going to keep my a look out for a nice 20 gauge, see what the doc says and go from there. I might have to do some fine tuning for predator loads, but looks like I am good to go for turkeys if I have to go that route. Thanks

7. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Me being cheap went to Pawn Shop got an Old Stevens Pump, mounted a Good Vortex Scope on it. Figure it is Good for Deer or Turkeys.

oneshot

:D the Big Grin likes Bows.

Satch likes this.
  8. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    3" shells in a light 20 might thump harder than you can stand.

trapperBR549 likes this.
  9. tcwild

tcwild Junior Member

Oct 16, 2013
    holden,mo
    Saw where Rogers is carrying TSS now.

Skduckhunt likes this.
  10. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    My sons youth mossberg 500 20 gauge will shoot right with my mossberg 835 12 gauge out to 30 yards or so. As far as recoil goes, dont let the little 20 gun fool ya it still packs to punch.

mrmurph likes this.
  11. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    I would agree with getting an auto loader 20. It will take a bunch of the kick away. Better to over-do it with a light hitter than cause yourself issues.

Beretta, Benelli, Franchi and the likes.

Hevi 13 #7’s out of a 20 pop is something!

mrmurph likes this.
  12. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    Any friends that load shot shells?

Someone might be able to fix you up with some 11/8, 1, or even 7/8 oz loads for the 12 gauge.

13. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2007
    mo
    Go with mule's suggestion or better yet learn to roll your own. A 20ga doesn't necessarily kick less than a 12. I've loaded a lot of 3/4oz 12 target loads that are more like a factory 28ga load.

Skduckhunt likes this.
  14. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    The right 12 gauge and shell combo can reduce recoil substancialy as well. I have a pair of Browning 2000's that are as soft recoiling as any 20 gauge I have ever shot.

ducksNbucks likes this.
  15. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
    Same with my browning maxus. A gas op semi auto 12 should work well

Skduckhunt likes this.
  16. mrmurph

mrmurph Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    I vote for the 20 gauge. Get an auto loader if it’s in your budget and don’t look back. I have an 835 that never leaves the house. It’s 20’s or .410’s for turkeys in our house.

17. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Crossbow?

Hey, somebody had to say it.

Seriously, I too, have killed a lot of turkeys with a 20. 3" Magnum #6 works pretty good at reasonable distances.

18. mrmurph

mrmurph Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    We run Heavy shot in our 20’s and have great luck. I roll my own TSS[​IMG] for the .410 and have had great success with it as well.

421sd likes this.
  19. MOBEN

MOBEN Member

Jan 9, 2008
    arbela MO
    WINCHESTER Longbeard shells are now available in 20 guage. Bought two boxes in #5s for a little over 10 dollars each at Dicks yesterday.