Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Buddy and I knocked down 16 quail today. Pretty rare in the show-me state. Moved 7 coveys on trapless ground. :)
Dogs worked as good as they ever have. A lot of fun.
Sky Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape Tree
Plant community Ecoregion Vertebrate Carnivore Mammal
Dog Smile Carnivore Glove Fawn
Sky Plant Snow Natural landscape Body of water

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well done! I have never seen more than one or two at our place! My dad and uncles said they used to hunt them as kids but the habitat has changed quite a bit

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you build it they will come

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Why the trapping diss? Can't just post you got some quail?
Unless the buddy you were hunting with was someone who is banned on this website. :LOL:

If you trapped it might even be better than it is now. Just another viewpoint.

Good looking dogs, congrats on the hunt!

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why the trapping diss? Can't just post you got some quail?
Unless the buddy you were hunting with was someone who is banned on this website. :LOL:

If you trapped it might even be better than it is now. Just another viewpoint.

Good looking dogs, congrats on the hunt!
It’s called a joke thus the smiley face. I can post whatever I want it is still a semi free post forum. Move along from my posts since they seem to trigger you.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What habitat enhancements and management have you done to help the quail so much? You need to do a farm tour post with many pictures.
It isn’t my farm but a friends. We have been hunting it for years. It has always been good but they recently renewed their CRP contract with a special quail management program. About 15 acers of footplots(milo and beans). Planting of warm season grasses and Forbes. Rotational burning and discing. It is just really good habitat.

·
Under appreciated
92,525 Posts
Sure brings back some memories. Fun day looks like!!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
It’s called a joke thus the smiley face. I can post whatever I want it is still a semi free post forum. Move along from my posts since they seem to trigger you.
There's a difference between joking and trolling.

If you read the last line I wrote, it congratulated you both on the hunt and complimented the dogs.
That really doesn't register as being "triggered" but oh well.

Have a good day. 👋

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's a difference between joking and trolling.

If you read the last line I wrote, it congratulated you both on the hunt and complimented the dogs.
That really doesn't register as being "triggered" but oh well.

Have a good day. 👋
It’s only trolling if someone takes a bite.....
I just state the facts. You can have a great population of game birds with great habitat. That is indisputable. Thanks for the compliment. I was proud of them yesterday and made the work worthwhile.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
It’s only trolling if someone takes a bite.....
I just state the facts. You can have a great population of game birds with great habitat. That is indisputable. Thanks for the compliment. I was proud of them yesterday and made the work worthwhile.
It's only joking if it's funny....

You can have a great population of game birds using a comprehensive habitat improvement and trapping program, also indisputable. That's a fact too.

You can still have a good day 👋

·
4,992 Posts
Love it! That's some fun times! I know if we could ever get farmers on board with implementing a new management practice on the waterway systems instead of mowing them three times a year we would have millions of quail

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I truly believe we need to go back to the farming practices of the 60's and 70's. The habitat in the pictures looks just like the farms I lived on and hunted when I was a teenager. We always had several coveys of quail and a lot of rabbits too. And no, I didn't trap back then. :eek:🤣. But we had Osage Orange fence rows for miles, un-mowed waterways, and lots of CRP.
The place I hunt now is all woods, hills, and rocks, no self-respecting quail would go anywhere near it but with a little habitat and trapping help it has become pretty dang good for deer and turkeys. (And trapping, Lol)

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I truly believe we need to go back to the farming practices of the 60's and 70's. The habitat in the pictures looks just like the farms I lived on and hunted when I was a teenager. We always had several coveys of quail and a lot of rabbits too. And no, I didn't trap back then. :eek:🤣. But we had Osage Orange fence rows for miles, un-mowed waterways, and lots of CRP.
The place I hunt now is all woods, hills, and rocks, no self-respecting quail would go anywhere near it but with a little habitat and trapping help it has become pretty dang good for deer and turkeys. (And trapping, Lol)
Not funny bringing up trapping.......

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.