1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
17,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2,000 Arrests Made For Deer Poaching
Poachers Face Up To Year In Jail, $1,000 Fine

POSTED: 3:38 pm CST December 10, 2009
UPDATED: 3:39 pm CST December 10, 2009

ST. LOUIS, Mo. -- State conservation agents have made 2,000 arrests statewide for illegal deer poaching this season.

Missouri Department of Conservation agent Chris Morrow told KSDK-TV that there has been an increase in the number of cases of spotlighting -- shooting deer after shining bright lights at them.

Poachers also are engaging in the illegal shooting of deer from the road. Morrow said deer have been found with their heads and antlers removed.

Cash rewards are offered to anyone who provides information leading to a poaching arrest. Callers to the "Operation Game Thief" tip line can remain anonymous. The number is 1-800-392-1111.

Poachers face up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine. Repeat offenders can lose hunting and fishing privileges

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Yup, penalties not stiff enough to deter the criminal mind. I would say odds of getting busted are 1 in 500. So the thought of $1,000 is not near enough to counter the odds in the poachers favor.:02:

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
[rquote=1505979&tid=105042&author=curtism1234]Sure, let's make shooting a deer from your truck at night such a horrible offense.

I'd be better off smoking crack ![/rquote]

Lets make them both bad offenses...a slap on the wrist does not do much. I wish when I was young I woulda got slapped on the wrist instead of something else and I would still be acting up. :D

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
"Sir, you have 31 crappie in your possession. I'm writing you a 5000 dollar ticket. Have a nice day"

:pop::hysterical:

Come on, the percentage of missouri hunters and fisherman that break the law each year is probably over 95% ---- not tagging deer, shooting birds of prey, shooting a goose with a 22 stuffing it in their trunk, shooting from an atv, doubling up on fish limits, etc.

If we're talking about very serouis trophy poaching charges, that's one thing. 2000 people (with several hundred thousand not getting caught), those aren't serouis poaching charges.

Let's take away 10% of their yearly income :lame:

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by curtism1234]

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
[rquote=1505991&tid=105042&author=curtism1234]
Come on, the percentage of missouri hunters and fisherman that break the law each year is probably over 95% [/rquote]
:thinking: That's certainly not the percentage in my circle of friends!

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
[rquote=1506021&tid=105042&author=lma][rquote=1505991&tid=105042&author=curtism1234]
Come on, the percentage of missouri hunters and fisherman that break the law each year is probably over 95% [/rquote]
:thinking: That's certainly not the percentage in my circle of friends![/rquote]

Your circle of friends probably aren't letting you in on their fun then :stirpot:

·
Registered
23,529 Posts
Why not actually give them the year in jail? Oh, wait, that would take away 100% of their income, I think the $5000 sounds like a deal then. :cheers:

Sadly, $1000 is the maximum fine for a misdemeanor in Mo generally. So, maybe the law needs to be changed, and judges and prosecutors need to take these offenses more seriously.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'm not buying the 2000 poaching infractions. Maybe 2000 wildlife code violations, but not poaching infractions. Think about it. How many agents statewide? Thats a lot of issued tickets for poaching per agent. I can believe overall infractions though; ie not tagging deer properly, misuse of permits, shooting bucks that didn't meet minimal number of points. That would be a bunch of poachers acually caught. Maybe so, I don't know. I do know thats a big number.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
[rquote=1505991&tid=105042&author=curtism1234]"Sir, you have 31 crappie in your possession. I'm writing you a 5000 dollar ticket. Have a nice day"

:pop::hysterical:

Come on, the percentage of missouri hunters and fisherman that break the law each year is probably over 95% ---- not tagging deer, shooting birds of prey, shooting a goose with a 22 stuffing it in their trunk, shooting from an atv, doubling up on fish limits, etc.

If we're talking about very serouis trophy poaching charges, that's one thing. 2000 people (with several hundred thousand not getting caught), those aren't serouis poaching charges.

Let's take away 10% of their yearly income :lame:

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by curtism1234][/rquote] SIR I DONT KNOW WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE YOU HUNT WITH BUT ALL AND I DO MEAN ALL OF THE PEOPLE I HUNT WITH ARE ALLL RESPONSIBLE AND ETHICAL HUNTERS AND I WOULDNT HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
1000 this not enough IMO! But then again I see people in thr paper that got busted for drugs and was fined under 1000$. I'd much rather see a person poach a deer then do drugs! I think drug charges should be way higher so they can raise the fine for poaching! I hate druggies and poachers but drugs are way worse then poachingimo

·
Registered
614 Posts
Surely there is a stiffer fine when they total the charges up. We have had a group of young guys around here that had reportedly killed up to 20 deer bucks and does. They ate some, just cut the heads off some, or ate parts of some. 3 weren't too involved and got like 600 dollar fines but one had almost 20 misdemeanors and 3 or 4 felonys, and another had either 7 or 13 misdemeanors and 1 felony against him. I would hope they would get a little more than that.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.