1st time plotter ?'s

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by i_willie12, May 29, 2009.

1. i_willie12

i_willie12 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Marshall MO
    I am planning on putting in 2 fall food plots of winter wheat on my families farm around Marshfield. Both about 2 to 3 acreas in what has been hay fields probably since the beginning of time!! They have never had the ground under them broken. So here's my first question for now. Should I spray the spots first and then plow and drag, or go in there with a plow and rip the ground up really good a couple times and then spray. I was really going to plow the heck of these spots to break up the soil and loosen everything up and get a good seed bed because it has never been done before. 2nd question if i wanted to plant mid sept when should I start ground work? Mid July/first august??

Thanks for the info
    Nathan

2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I am assuming the pasture is fecue infested like most in this area. I would sudgest spraying with roundup now and again later in the summer. Sod busting and plowing under only seems to subdue fescue for a short period of time. Use a good strong 1 1/2 to 2 quarts per acre on that fescue on both applications and just disc your ground up before planting in the fall. Also,,don't forget to add alittle nitrogen fertilizer to your wheat this fall.

:cheers::cheers:

3. horntagger

horntagger Active Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Southeast Missouri
    What he said but get a soil test after you disk and get result and then you can decide if you need to lime and disk before you plant.

I would get everything prep for a Mid August Planting.

FallPerfect is a fall annual seed blend of cereal grains and forage clovers designed to give you the perfect balance of nutrition and quality for your whitetail herd. This fall blend includes triticale which withstands freezing temperatures very well and is palatable to whitetails from planting into late January. FallPerfect also includes cereal rye which grows very quickly and is the most palatable cereal grain. This variety produces a lot of forage very quickly (7-8 thousand pounds of plant matter from planting to April, protein level of 15-18%. There are two varieties of clover in FallPerfect, Arrow leaf and Crimson; both are high quality forage producers. Arrow leaf thrives in the spring and crimson grows well in the fall, both have a protein level averaging at +25%

That way you not in a rush

4. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    I'd hit it tomorrow with a strong dose of RU as Henry said, wait two weeks then burn it. Wait another week and hit anything greening up again with RU. Then, although a bit late, I would plant it to beans, then WW in October.

5. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I'd do it a fuzz different. If I had access to a plow, I'd plow first (ASAP), then disc to smooth her out. Reason being, thats just one less application of glypho I had to make and it'll save a little money. (Course I haven't plowed much so others may know better how it is to plow alive vs dead sod.) I like the idea of planting RR beans in the area this summer. You can spray over the top for weed control as needed. Then once the leaves start yellowing on the beans, spread your ww in the beans and call it good. If you don't want to plant RR beans, I'd probably just take a disc to it again as needed throughout summer (or you can spray glypho to keep weeds supressed). I target the first-second week of Sept for ww. You can always make it a combo like horntagger said, throw in some crimson and/or arrowleaf, oats, ww, etc. Mid August is a bit too early to cereal grains in my opinion. Earliest I'd target is labor day weekend.

There are a few ways to do it as others have suggested and I don't think you will go wrong with any of the suggestions.