Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
White Board Man
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dang it, ya'll are too slow, LOL, made me do my own research, now I must sleep.

The overall length of the new .17-caliber load is the same as the .22 LR cartridge, although the length of the necked-down .17M2 case is longer than a .22 LR case, to accommodate the smaller .17-caliber bullet. Still, the matching overall length and case-body dimensions of the .17M2 and the .22 LR will allow the .17M2 to function in standard .22 LR magazine configurations of all types, so any existing .22 LR rimfire firearm manufacturer in the world can adapt any of its existing .22 LR gun models to the new load simply by fitting them with .17-caliber barrels with the .17M2 chamber. Yes, that's what I said: any existing .22 LR rimfire firearm--any bolt-action rifle or pistol, any semiautomatic rifle or pistol, any single-shot rifle or pistol, any revolver, any pump-action, any whatever.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
yep, and if you own a ruger rifle in either semi auto or bolt action you can swap out the barrels in all of 5 min. for around 120.00 a piece. and that aplies to the .17hmr/22wrm as well.

·
Registered
70,769 Posts
But.....why would you want to do that to a good .22 rifle when all you need to do is get another gun that shoots the .17M2. He who has the most guns wins.....right?

·
White Board Man
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Mailman
But.....why would you want to do that to a good .22 rifle when all you need to do is get another gun that shoots the .17M2. He who has the most guns wins.....right?
I'm married with children, my money is usually gone before I see it. LOL

Does shooting this through a .22lr hurt it any?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Originally posted by blevely
Does shooting this through a .22lr hurt it any?
do not try to do that, well that is unless you want a realy inacurate shooting rifle and possible ruin it for future .22 shooting. i got to think there's a zillion reason why that would be a bad choice. either get a new rifle or if it is possible, swap out the barrel.

·
White Board Man
14,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by blevely

The overall length of the new .17-caliber load is the same as the .22 LR cartridge, although the length of the necked-down .17M2 case is longer than a .22 LR case, to accommodate the smaller .17-caliber bullet. Still, the matching overall length and case-body dimensions of the .17M2 and the .22 LR will allow the .17M2 to function in standard .22 LR magazine configurations of all types, so any existing .22 LR rimfire firearm manufacturer in the world can adapt any of its existing .22 LR gun models to the new load simply by fitting them with .17-caliber barrels with the .17M2 chamber. Yes, that's what I said: any existing .22 LR rimfire firearm--any bolt-action rifle or pistol, any semiautomatic rifle or pistol, any single-shot rifle or pistol, any revolver, any pump-action, any whatever.
Hey guys what about this statement though?

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
You CAN'T just swap out barrels, there's more to it, at least with autoloaders. The weight of the bolt must be balanced with the load. Since the Mach2 has a lot more velocity, the bolt slams back harder. To even things out, the bolt needs replaced with a heavier unit, to slow the bolt down. In the case of the 10/22, there is E.A. Brown Co., they do it a tad differently, they make an extra heavy bolt handle, that you can (and must!) swap out so it will work correctly. If you don't, the bolt may unlock too quickly and the case will blow out, ruining the magazine, and possibly your day. Of course, you have to swap out barrels, too, the little .17 bullet won't even touch the sides of a .22 barrel.
For bolt actions, lever actions, and pumpguns, all you have to do, is replace the barrel, but it might be cheaper and smarter to just buy a new rifle in that cartridge. .17 M2s are a LOT fussier than the .17HMR, and at least the ones I've shot and fooled with, didn't shoot nearly as well as the HMR. Keep that in mind. I bought a Marlin boltgun a year ago New Year's, and sold it when it wouldn't shoot very well. They are REALLY fussy little stinkers.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Originally posted by Mailman
Just buy another gun......the kids don't need to go to college anyway. They can just stay with you and the Mrs forever.:rotfl:
There is a good idea. And as long as you are doing it why not got with the .17 HMR....WAY more bang for your buck!

·
Registered
211 Posts
.17M2 and .17HMR

What is the dif between the Mach 2 and the HMR? Can a rifle chambered for HMR shoot Mach 2? Just curious, the Mach 2 ammo is cheaper.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.