Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed in the new BassPro sheet they had Savage 17's for not a lot of money, one with a bull barrel. Anyone own one? Pro's and cons??
They had a Remington 870 3 1/2" 12 ga. pretty darned cheap as well. I think I need to make a trip to Columbia and check it out.

·
5,632 Posts
Cherokee, do you remember their price on that 870 Super Mag?

I just bought one for $300 in Realtree Hardwoods. It was at a certain nation-wide retail store at the corner of Missouri Blvd and Stadium Blvd.

·
Under appreciated
92,376 Posts
Originally posted by Cherokee
I noticed in the new BassPro sheet they had Savage 17's for not a lot of money, one with a bull barrel. Anyone own one? Pro's and cons??
Cherokee..
If your talking about the model 12FVSS, I bought one 3 weeks ago or so. I havent shot it yet
but I have the SAME rifle in .22-250 and its a shooter. You'll love the factory trigger and if you dont, YOU can easily adjust it without smithing services.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
A good buddy of mine bought a 3 1/2 870 several years back...........
I shot it once with 3 1/2 heavy turkey loads, and let me tell ya,
that thing will rattle your teeth.
After that rather unpleasant experience, I bought an automatic 3 1/2
inch gun.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by jmmcguire
Cherokee, do you remember their price on that 870 Super Mag?

I just bought one for $300 in Realtree Hardwoods. It was at a certain nation-wide retail store at the corner of Missouri Blvd and Stadium Blvd.
299 for the 870, but you can get the autoloader SPR 453 for the same money.
219 for the Savage 17 package and 189 for the bull barrel.

Friday Aug. 25th only.......Winchester Super X 12 and 20, 1.99 a box.

Not to sound like an add for BP, but that's cheap!

·
Registered
481 Posts
on the savage, try to get the laminate wood stock and the accutrigger. the bull barrel is and trigger are the backbone to savage guns. the laminate wood doesn't flex like the cheap plastic stock they put on some of their models.

try spending the extra money on the accutrigger as its adjustable for poundage without the need of a gunsmith.

everyone that has a savage 17 has no complaints. just make sure to top it off with quality glass

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to BP and got em, then took my son to Miner Mike's at the Lake. Spent a bundle today, but made memories with Paul. Even hit the go-karts today.:banana:

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Cherokee...
I have that 3 1/2" 870 and I love it. It just got a facelift and I'll be posting pics of it in just a little bit!

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hoyt, I didn't get the 870. I ended up getting the SPR 453, which is made by some Russian outfit and imported by Spartan. It has the Remington name on it, but it isn't a "true" Remington.
I know, I know, shame on me!
But for 300 bucks I just had to get an auto.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The .17 is a shooter for sure. I'm no expert by any means, but I was shooting .45 shell casings off the ground at 50 yards 8 out of 10 times. I put 170 shells through it today.

The 12 gauge is a kicker for sure, 6 shells and that's all I wanted for awhile.:eek:

If you don't have a .17, get one, they're a blast.:banana:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.