46,926 Posts
Good looking deer! Congrats!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Awesome deer, congratulations.

Details of the hunt?
My friend Johnny saw a big 10pt in a crp field that morning, and the wind was the same for that night. I had never hunted on this part of the property, but I had pinned several spots on the map and his intel was enough to make a game plan. This spot on public was already getting a lot of pressure, so I took that into account when figuring out where to set up. I sat up in one corner of the crp field and Johnny was in the other. The 10pt showed up along with a really nice young 14pt and this 14pt at about 6:45pm. A small 8pt and the two 14 points worked across the field right to my friend. I tried to snort wheeze the 10pt. I don't know if he heard me but after about 5 minutes he had worked to about 80 yards from me. He was definitely the oldest and most mature of the bucks. The other 3 bucks ended up winding my friend and running back towards me. Because the 10pt was out in front of me, they stopped and calmed down. That little 8pt came walking right down to my corner and the 14pt was right behind him. I was in a tiny tree with little cover and the 8pt was about to catch my wind, so I shot the 14pt at 40 yards in between the chest and the shoulder. He was quartering really hard to me. The shot knocked him down and he almost didn't get back up. It hit the heart, lungs, liver, guts, and broke the opposite back leg on the exit. He went about 30 yards after I shot him. The 10pt was probably about mid 150s, but I had my heart set on the tall 14pt because of how cool his rack was. The other young 14pt was probably low to mid 140s. He had a wall of 6" tines on side. One of the best sits I have ever had. Luckily I was able to stop shaking before the shot. My fifth nice public land buck and second best bow kill. Can't wait to get back after it again in the late season.

·
Part-time malcontent
7,487 Posts
21 - 40 of 45 Posts