Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
14,451 Posts
what sticks out is this guy fishes the Mississippi for Blues and only has 30lb test line?

A Mississippi man reeled in a 131-pound blue catfish that not only set a new state record, but possibly a world line class record as well.

Eugene Cronley was fishing a 90-foot hole in the Mississippi River near Natchez on April 7 when his rod bowed over. He told Mississippi Clarion Ledger that the fight began just five minutes after his skipjack cut-bait hit the water.

"We had to untie the boat and float down the river," Cronley told the paper. "I couldn't move him. I'd pull on him and take in a foot of line and he'd pull and take 10 feet. I just sat there like I was hung up."

It was clear that whatever was on the end of his 30-pound test line was big.

"We catch a lot of 50-pounders down there and I knew he was bigger than that," Cronley recalled. "We didn't know until we pulled him up. We knew then we had a monster."

Back home in Brandon, Cronley's scale indicated the giant fish weighed 138½ pounds, demolishing the state's existing blue catfish record of 95 pounds. Now all he needed was a certified scale big enough to weigh the fish.

"You can't believe how hard it is to find certified scales to weigh a catfish that big," Cronley told the Clarion Ledger.

Cronley eventually took it to Van's Deer Processing and Sporting Goods in Rankin County, which had a certified scale up for the task. After three days on ice, the fish weighed in at 131 pounds.

Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks biologist Ryan Jones confirmed the scale was accurate and certified the state record on Monday.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Just an old school catfisherman. Not that long ago 25 pound test was damn heavy tackle, add a 50 pound leader and you were loaded for bear. The introduction of braided fishing line changed everything, because it is so much easier to handle pound for pound.

I guess now the modern catfish anglers that are serious about big fish use 80-100 pound braid and treat these big cats like they are targeting grouper on bridge pilings.

I think the invasive carp as a food source definitely help these big cats grow, but the increased success of rod and line anglers on big cats has got as much to do with advancements in tackle.

There are no official records that I know of but plenty of of 140 + or - flatheads have been reportedly caught on trot lines. For sure by commercial fishermen also. A lot of fish tales I am sure but where there is smoke there is fire.

·
14,451 Posts
Just an old school catfisherman. Not that long ago 25 pound test was damn heavy tackle, add a 50 pound leader and you were loaded for bear. The introduction of braided fishing line changed everything, because it is so much easier to handle pound for pound.

I guess now the modern catfish anglers that are serious about big fish use 80-100 pound braid and treat these big cats like they are targeting grouper on bridge pilings.

I think the invasive carp as a food source definitely help these big cats grow, but the increased success of rod and line anglers on big cats has got as much to do with advancements in tackle.

There are no official records that I know of but plenty of of 140 + or - flatheads have been reportedly caught on trot lines. For sure by commercial fishermen also. A lot of fish tales I am sure but where there is smoke there is fire.
Blue cat fishing is the fastest growing type of fishing there is right now.
More and more river fisherman are going to braided line due to it being smaller in diameter it creates less drag then mono of the same poundage.
I use 60-65 braid with 80 mono-leader.
The guys I know who fish just lakes use mono, but they are old and are not up for new things, plus mono is cheaper like them.

There is a lot of info on u-tube now on how, when, what to look for, where to fish on blue cat fishing.
I was watching one out of KC, as they usually have some Missouri guys on from Hannibal and Cape, saying that a few years ago when the MDC was electro-fishing blue cats on the Missouri River that they found numerous state records and a couple of world record Blue cats between St Joe and St. Louis, true or not?

As for Asian Carp, you are probably right even though I have only caught one Blue using them and I have tried numerous times, like yesterday.

there are pictures of one caught a few years ago, the guy could not get it in the boat, his wife came down to the doc and took pictures of it in the water and he let it go. So called experts examining the pictures estimate it to have been 175 to 200lbs and maybe more.

Lake fisherman still like mono,

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have two heavy duty catfish rigs, and heavy duty 7’ boat rods. One has a Cardiff loaded with 80 pound braid and the other has a old school abu 7000, with the single handle and 40 in mono. I like the boat rods they may not cast far but there is no limit to the amount of weight I can sling with one. And that’s very helpful in big rivers. Neither of them see much use anymore, I use Zebco 33’s on ugly sticks for everything lol.

I have never seen a reel with enough drag to make the most of that heavy line though. Even with 30 ib test I’m using the thumb drag if I get hung up lol. I am sure they make them these days.

Reactions: Dafish

·
Don't mind me
9,970 Posts
I have two heavy duty catfish rigs, and heavy duty 7’ boat rods. One has a Cardiff loaded with 80 pound braid and the other has a old school abu 7000, with the single handle and 40 in mono. I like the boat rods they may not cast far but there is no limit to the amount of weight I can sling with one. And that’s very helpful in big rivers. Neither of them see much use anymore, I use Zebco 33’s on ugly sticks for everything lol.

I have never seen a reel with enough drag to make the most of that heavy line though. Even with 30 ib test I’m using the thumb drag if I get hung up lol. I am sure they make them these days.
I’m breaking 100# braid with 30# of reel drag and a thumb on the reel. It sure is fun let me tell ya

·
Registered
983 Posts
30 pounds of drag that’s a serious reel right there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts