Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On this day Brian and I headed to a new hunting spot that we have never been too. I had no idea what to expect other than knowing it had some brushpiles and mainly managed for quail hunting. We drove in pretty much blind not knowing where to go. Got down geared up let the dogs out and started off. Didn't take to long for me to figure out what general direction to head. The thicker the better is what I always say. So to the thick stuff we go. Soon as I step foot in the area nothing but rabbit dropping everywhere. I think I saw a million rabbit droppings thru out the entire day. Never seen such a thing before it was unreal. Rabbit after Rabbit they jumped didn't take to long before both us got our limits we took turns shooting just sat back and listened to some good runs. It rained last night and on the drive their it was misting a little bit and that made for some excellent non-stop pounding. The echo's of the dogs hammering sounded whicked thru them hills. Leah retrieved a few rabbits for me again today. Please view the video I put together of today's hunt. Thanks for looking - Joey

Here is some of the cover we were in. Looked like alot of grown up fields and a ton of tree tops and cut down trees lots of brush piles.

[file]84273[/file]

[file]84275[/file]

[file]84277[/file]

Here I am with the dogs. Left to right Daisy, Leah, Lightning, Lisa = Excellent Pack of Females
12 rabbits

[file]84279[/file]

·
Registered
16,729 Posts
You guys make it look so easy!!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats cause I live eat and breathe rabbit hunting.........lol

·
Registered
16,729 Posts
[rquote=1509044&tid=105259&author=Joeyman]thats cause I live eat and breathe rabbit hunting.........lol[/rquote]

You forgot to say; dream and poooohhh!

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have dreamed about rabbit hunting several times........no lie........:wave:

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take rabbit hunting serious. I train and run hounds year round. I'm out there every weekend running and conditioning dogs. When gun season comes in I like to be ready.

[Edited on 12-14-2009 by Joeyman]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice video there man you sure got some nice dogs. If ya ever make it down this way sometime let me know. Best of luck to ya. Keep em comin:eek::

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
[rquote=1509061&tid=105259&author=Joeyman]I take rabbit hunting serious. I train and run hounds year round. I'm out there every weekend running and conditioning dogs. When gun season comes in I like to be ready.

[Edited on 12-14-2009 by Joeyman][/rquote]

looks like the practice/training is working!!! way to get after them bunnies:cheers:

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[rquote=1509229&tid=105259&author=Copeman]Nice video there man you sure got some nice dogs. If ya ever make it down this way sometime let me know. Best of luck to ya. Keep em comin:eek::[/rquote]

what part of Mo are you from copeman?

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks pointerman

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bump for ghbeagles. we'll go here tracy.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
leah is the only dog I have that retrieves. Her father pistol who has passed on a few weeks back did the same. that trait was passed down to her.

We killed one yesterday it was under some thick brush. No way I could of gotten in there to get that rabbit. I sent leah in and she got it out for me.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that first little female daisy of mine is a great dog also. She's the oldest of the bunch. Very wise dog and knows her stuff. She is always busy in the brush. she is what i like to call a brush buster. Likes to get in and do her thing. I've killed several rabbits cause of her. She likes to work brushpiles she'll get in and root around and I like that. Out of all my dogs she's the one I'd say is the best at doing that stuff. She is also very honest with her mouth no early barks or extra barks in the check either. She's getting older on me sure gonna miss her too when she's gone. I've got to get a pup out of her before that time. I'll be looking for a 13" male with the same traits or I won't breed to him. I'd like to keep those traits. No she aint no fancy AKC big name ped. dog she's just an old school rabbit dog. My little daisy is what I call her.....lol

·
Registered
19,796 Posts
Excellent video Joey ! Even before i saw her retrieve, I told ya she was my favorite lil girl ! She is sooo good natured. Just look at those retrieves....the other dogs crowd in, she doesnt get mad, she just goes on her way, and brings that rabbit right to ya. :claphands::claphands::claphands:

Now Daisy, on the other hand:thinking:....better watch those fingers! :eek::whiteflag::rof2::2thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Looking good Joey.I can't beleave how great the habitat looks at the places you hunt.I have one or two CA's around here that looks that good,but most just have too much fescue for good rabbit production.Any private ground around here that looks that good is for deer management and they don't want no beagles running.Again good going

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks bigjohn.........hows your season been going. Doing any good?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Only killed 31 so far.We don't have the habitat to have the numbers you've been killing.Plus I've had to work a buttload of overtime since rabbit season came in,only having Sunday to hunt.Off a couple of days cause of weather,but too bad to hunt those days lol.I've got a couple places lined up for after the last of the deer seasons are over that are loaded with rabbits.Around here,corn is king and alot of hunting ground has suffered cause of it.I wish the MDC would realize that good rabbit habitat makes good deer and turkey habitat,but good deer habitat doesn't necessarily make good rabbit habitat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts