Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with it being turkey season, I’m seeing all sorta stuff about how far will your turkey gun shoot, what does my turkey gun need, etc, etc, etc. So since when do you need anything special at all from any shotgun to hit a target the size of a beer can at 30yds?
This is a sport outside of turkey hunting. Surely you’ve all been to a turkey shoot. There isn’t any middle ground. I’m all about ballistics and the science behind it. I love the concept of TSS shells. I’m all for killing turkeys with .410’s. But I’ve killed a bunch of turkeys at 40yds with a Mossberg 500 with a PERMANENTLY rusted factory modified choke, shooting high brass #6 rabbit/squirrel loads.
I’ve also killed a bunch with my “waterfowl” gun, shooting Longbeard XR’s and an extra full choke. But my point in all this is that when you are shooting a shotgun like a rifle, why would you not expect it to be deadly without any modifications out to the same range you expect it to perform on any small game? Who doesn’t shoot at ducks or pheasants at 40yds and expect a dead bird? Or shotgunning squirrels sitting on a limb? I would look at ANY shotgun like it was haunted if it failed to kill a squirrel at 40yds with a full choke and 7.5’s. So unless you’re willing to shoot a long barrel with a custom forcing cone, custom choke, and HUGE load of shot and powder like a goose gun or turkey shoot gun, why all the worry about a dedicated turkey killer. Why not just have a camo, semi-auto 3.5” magnum 12ga to be your turkey, coyote, goose, heli-hog, etc gun?

· Grrrrrrr
30,190 Posts
I own three shotguns...they’ve all killed turkeys. None are tricked out.

—1970’s model H&R 20 gauge single shot with modified barrel. Killed every gobbler I ever pointed it at using 3” mag #4’s. Haven’t personally used it since the late 80’s but my son killed one with it sometime around 2005.

—1990’s Remington 870 Wingmaster. It’s my go to for turkeys. I run the basic factory full choke and Winchester XX #5 turkey loads.

—early 2000’s Benelli Montelfeltro 12 gauge. It’s killed one turkey. I quit carrying it after I accidentally hit the cartridge drop lever while getting in position to set up on a gobbler that sounded off close and unexpected. Of course that caused a shell to drop from the magazine to the bottom of the receiver. I wasn’t sure if it would work properly without reloading so I quietly and hastily cycled shells out with a gobbler in close quarters. Well.. in trying to be quiet I didn’t let the bolt slam home when I advanced a shell into the chamber. Immediately thereafter I had not one but three strutters in my lap. I pulled the trigger and the gun didn’t fire. Then I commenced to panic and before it was all said and done I had all three shells on the ground between my legs and three nervous gobblers standing next to my decoy. By the time I got myself together the birds were getting the hell outta dodge and I ended up whiffing on the closest one as he created the ridge and out of my life.

Yeah...I’ll stick with the 870.

· Quack
5,521 Posts
Reactions: CamoNinja

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Gun??? What ever happened to the good old fashioned bag of corn a box spring???

1,672 Posts
I just happen to own a lot of guns. So I keep an old Benelli nova for a dedicated turkey gun. I put rifle sights on it and once sighted in I just don't feel like remounting and resighting it back in. Besides I hate the gun and don't really care to use it for anything else. But when I need to crawl through the mud I don't mind getting it dirty and scratched up. Kills turkeys all day long at 40 yds but hoping with tungsten to extend that a little when my calling ain't sexy enough.

· Lunch break commander
8,801 Posts

· Deplorable member
10,718 Posts
Just finding what ammo a certain gun likes can add quite a bit to the effective range of it. Doesn’t need to be anything special as far as tricking out. My go to has been an Ithaca Mag 10 28” factory full for the past 35 yrs but just to make things interesting I’ve been using different guns the past 5 yrs or so including a Knight 12 ga ML shotgun and even killed a few with a .410. First gobbler ever was with a 2 3/4” 12 ga 1100 41 yrs ago shooting Winchester lead 4’s.

Reactions: Dmbecke

· High-tech Hillbilly
1,259 Posts
I had this 20 gauge flinter made with a 42" Colerain barrel that has a restriction choke built in. The first thing I killed with it were two gray squirrels and the pattern was so tight that it left them looking like screen wire. So it is now a dedicated turkey-only gun.

My 12 gauge with a cylinder bore is my all-around critter gitter.

Darren

· Registered
4,733 Posts
I own three shotguns...they've all killed turkeys. None are tricked out.

-1970's model H&R 20 gauge single shot with modified barrel. Killed every gobbler I ever pointed it at using 3" mag #4's. Haven't personally used it since the late 80's but my son killed one with it sometime around 2005.

-1990's Remington 870 Wingmaster. It's my go to for turkeys. I run the basic factory full choke and Winchester XX #5 turkey loads.

-early 2000's Benelli Montelfeltro 12 gauge. It's killed one turkey. I quit carrying it after I accidentally hit the cartridge drop lever while getting in position to set up on a gobbler that sounded off close and unexpected. Of course that caused a shell to drop from the magazine to the bottom of the receiver. I wasn't sure if it would work properly without reloading so I quietly and hastily cycled shells out with a gobbler in close quarters. Well.. in trying to be quiet I didn't let the bolt slam home when I advanced a shell into the chamber. Immediately thereafter I had not one but three strutters in my lap. I pulled the trigger and the gun didn't fire. Then I commenced to panic and before it was all said and done I had all three shells on the ground between my legs and three nervous gobblers standing next to my decoy. By the time I got myself together the birds were getting the hell outta dodge and I ended up whiffing on the closest one as he created the ridge and out of my life.

Yeah...I'll stick with the 870.
Not a gun problem.

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,066 Posts
O Joy another " Your all doing it wrong " thread !
Odds are, I am usually doin it all wrong most of the time. But still find a way to have fun anyway. :D.

I use whatever gun i am in the mood to use. :D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.