Will a deer return after being shot at?

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by skull stacker, Nov 2, 2013.

1. skull stacker

skull stacker New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    My son shot at and missed a very nice 8 this morning, around 120in i would guess. He did trot off but didn't act to concerned. What is the chance he'll cruise the same area again this weekend?

2. widerack12

widerack12 Local Legend

May 20, 2011
    Dent County
    he'll be back.....this time of year their not thinking right anyway

3. Heart shot

Heart shot Active Member

Jul 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    Did you check for blood? I have shot deer before and they don't really react then walk off 100 yes and are dead. Before I worry about him coming back I would dbl check he didn't him. If you truly missed he will be back. They won't leave the area. By brother shot a buck with an arrow and chased around for 12 hours trying to recover him. 6 days later I killed him with my rifle as he chased a doe. I shot him about 400 yes away from where he had shot him 6 days earlier. Good luck

4. skull stacker

skull stacker New Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    He stuck the barrel of his rifle out of the blind, and it was pointed right at a tree limb when he shot. It was about 4 inches from the end of the barrel. I cut it off so he could keep it. I had me eyes on the deer not where the barrel was pointing.

5. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    He will return---:):)

6. glennasher1

glennasher1 Active Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    The biggest deer I ever shot was missed opening morning, by my stepbrother. I went back to that spot 3 days later and hammered him (stepbrother was sleeping in). I saw a skint place on his back from Bill's bullet..................that's what he gets for not checking his rifle's zero before season...........

Yeah, I had permission to hunt there. Heck, I even went to town and got Bill outa bed to help me get the deer out!:D:D:D

7. Turbojet

Turbojet New Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Franklin County
    I shot at a doe once and missed. She turned and ran straight to me. Yes I got her after two more misses.