What's in your stool?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Hunting' started by callaojoe, Aug 2, 2017.

1. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    My Dad's favorite comment when shooting at ducks.....

I shot at the meat and made the feathers fly, but the meat went with the feathers... :D

catdaddy likes this.
  2. Clucker

Clucker Active Member

Never have been a claimer, but I do keep a pair of pliers handy while I'm hunting.

Skduckhunt likes this.

3. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Ordered some supplies for Texas Rigg'n......

Gonna rig about 60 of my dekes this way, see how I like it. Ordered 6oz weights for the magnums, and 4oz for the regular size.....

Looking forward to trying these out.

4. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    So, crimping the texas rigs..... What sort of tool does everyone use? Hammer, Wiretool?

5. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    They make a pair of pliers for them, or a tool that looks like a pair of bolt cutters.

All of mine just have a clip like a cheap trot line

Skduckhunt likes this.
  6. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Remember to leave a loop on the decoy end of your Texas Rig so when you lift the decoy out of the water by the head you grab the loop and hook it to the carabiner

7. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Yep.... How I am gonna do it...

72" rigs, gonna create small loop at end of line. Then, slide on egg-weight, I have 6oz for mag dekes, 4oz for reg dekes. Then, loop through leader, slide on length adjusters I bought, then another loop to connect to carbiners.....

Then, I can just attach to the dekes with the leaders..... :tup:

8. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I have one of those 4 lb short handled hammers, that I can turn on it's side and use like an anvil.... Then, flattening the crimps with a ball peen hammer. Seems to do nicely..... Just tired that method out, and working real well.

9. bulletman

bulletman Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sedalia
    Just dont overcrimp them, or half way thru the season the line will break at the crimp

ducksNbucks and callaojoe like this.
  10. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Weights are expensive.... Don't want that happening.

I need to buy a 6oz egg style mold, as I have a pile of old scuba weights I could melt down into decoy weights... :D

11. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Length adjusters? Keep the line free of crap as crap just complicates pick-up and collecting weeds

12. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I may do a few dekes, maybe a dozen or so with longer lines, I would think if it stays up by loop most of the time, it won't be an issue.... I guess I'll find out, and if I don't like them, a pair of pliers and they'll be gone... :D

13. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    The ease of pick-up is why u use Texas rigs. The decoy can slide from one end to The other...

14. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Theres a video on youtube that shows how to do it. Ill see if I can find it

Basically put a crimp on, then thread the weight thru and crimp. Then thread the opposite end thru the deke about 2 feet and make and thread a crimp on. Make a large loop about 1 foot down the line then loop the loose end thru the original loop 3-4 times. Then put the end of the line in the other side of the crimp and squeeze closed.

15. Son_of_Cold_Duck

Son_of_Cold_Duck 1:8655 idiots right Red?

Dec 16, 2008
    i\'m skeeered
    I usually pick a bag or three of these (H&H 4-oz weights with 6' lines attached) up after season when Academy discounts them to $10-ish
    snip off the crimp...run the line thru the decoy's keel...then crimp a new loop...insta Texas rig less than a $1 a piece

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017 at 10:51 AM
    catdaddy, Clucker and callaojoe like this.
  16. Phil in MO

Phil in MO White Gold Prostaff

Nov 3, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    If you hunt knee deep water or less, you will hate 6' texas rigs, I hate 36" most of the time.

Skduckhunt likes this.
  17. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I hunt big lakes a lot, and it's not un-common to be placing dekes in 5' of water or more.... THat is why I wanted to depth adjuster dealios..... If I always hunted in 3' of water or less, I wouldn't mess with that, but that's just not the case....

18. Phil in MO

Nov 3, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    Those should work great then.

19. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Hope so, this is what I am doing... The stainless swivel to the decoy, on the side with bigger loop attached to carbiner is the depth adjuster, then the smaller loop is where the 6oz weight can fall to. To set shallow, just move the adjuster towards the swivel at whatever depth you want to set. Ya, in weeds it could be a pain, but on lakes like TH, Truman, etc... or on rivers, I think it'll work nicely.... IMG_2627.JPG

20. Phil in MO

Nov 3, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    Looks good. Problem I have in shallow water is with the excess rigging. Sometimes it sticks out of the water due to the stiffness of it. Probably means nothing to ducks, but it bothers me.

fishshooter likes this.