What peppers are you growing?

Discussion in 'Just Good Food' started by GMB54-120, Jun 26, 2016.

1. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Ive got a few but mostly kinds that are either hard to find or expensive at the stores.

Peach/orange Habanero
    Aji Limo aka Lemon Drop...really hard to find....real nice sub 100k pepper with a great flavor
    Super Chilli..man do these things produce a ton of 50kish Scoville peppers.
    Big Jim NuMex.....supposed to produce some huge mild peppers
    Early Jalapeno....love these because of the upper end jalapeno heat level
    Cowhorn...Already got a few....kinda mild but every now and then one will surprise you.
    Serrano..I can never get these in red at the markets. I love them for hot sauce but really want it red. :D The 2 i picked sofar were really hot for a serrano too....probably close to 25k or better

I REALLY wanted to try some Billy Biker jalapenos. These duds from the store are killing me. I tried growing mammoth and Giganti <sp> the last 2 years, huge but BLAND!!! No freaking heat to them or even that great jalapeno flavor. The Billy Bikers are supposed to be about the hottest with a great flavor....anyone have some i might be able to work out some kind of a trade.

When i was a kid, pretty much all dad grew were the Early and jalapeno Ms. They always had good heat, good yield and the flavor was pretty good too.

I kinda wanted some Fresnos too but they were a bust. The seedlings i wanted didn't get ordered. Red fresno peppers are outstanding for fermented hot sauce IMO. Kinda pricey at the only market ive seen sell them....Kinda of a PITA to find Fresno seedlings too.

BTW looking for some Aji Dulce or Numex Suave habanero.......They are a habanero type pepper with almost no heat.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. Stonewall1

Stonewall1 Member

Nov 1, 2015
    All we ever grow are Hungarian hot wax, jalapeño, banana and habanero. We grow seeds from previous year and they do change a little bit. Weather and temp makes a big difference. A few years ago during the drought we had the hottest peppers ever. If you can water them without getting the leaves wet you'll be much better off.

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    My serranos, jalapeños and anchos are coming on strong. I quit growing scotch bonnets and habs a few years ago because breeding brings more and more hot pepper varieties and I just can't keep up.
    Green chilies are my favorite anyway. I don't need to have million SV units to enjoy a bit of heat.

4. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    I've got habanero, jalapeño and cayenne. I use them fresh in dill pickles, salsa and I'll make poppers with some of the jalapeños. If I have a big crop I'll preserve some of the jalapeños by pickling them and I'll dry some of the cayenne's.

5. Meller

Meller Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Limited space this year so went with Mucho Nacho Jalapenos, supposed to get really big which I want for grilling poppers. I grew serranos last year and they are excellent for salsa and green hot sauce.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    I planted 6 varieties of Mexican chilis, i'll dry and grind for chili powder...grew gost, Carolina reeper, and lemon drop last year, made some fine hot sause with the lemon drops.....

7. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Mucho Nacho are supposed to be excellent jalapenos. The majority of the reviews ive seen said nice heat (2nd only too Billy Bikers) and very good flavor too. I make a lot of pepper relish for nachos. Usually its 80% jalapeno, 15% serrano and around 5% habanero. Mainly because the jalapenos lately have been so terribly mild. Its simple to get more heat but the flavor of a jalapeno is kinda unique. Fresno or serrano being the closest in flavor.

I dont really use much habanero. The heat level is too much for me but i do really like the flavor of a habanero. Im not a fan of most hot chilis like the cayenne type either. I normally grew Thai birdseye or Dragon chili hybrids for those types. ATM i kinda like these Super Chilis better. They are a little milder and have a great yield for a tiny plant. VERY hardy too, from day 1 they have looked healthier than my other peppers.

The NuMex BigJims are supposed to be a mild pepper around the same heat level as the lower end of Anaheims. The cowhorn i tasted was very mild at the tip and middle to upper end jalapeno at the stem end. They look like a oversized cayenne kinda.

The lemon drops are starting to produce. I found 2 sofar. Both plants are doing way better now since it got much hotter outside. They are supposed to be in the 30k scoville range. Some charts list them as getting hotter so well shall see. The last ones i tried from the market were much hotter than the serrano but way less than a habanero. They make a beautiful bright yellow hot sauce and do have a citrus or lemon type aroma.

8. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011

Last year i made a 25% lemon drop and 75% red fresno hot sauce. Everyone loved it. Went back for more lemon drop peppers and they were gone. The local pepper grower in Fenton for Global Foods quit growing them too. (or so i was told)

If these work out im going to try the Aji Amarillo too. Its more orange in color.

9. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I went with some yellow and some green peppers. :wave:

10. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    I used to grow green bell peppers. Problem for me is, they are easily found in the stores at a semi reasonable price (sometimes) and my limited room. I think last year was the first time i didnt grow any. I chose banana peppers instead. I ended up with 2 crazy producing plants. I pickle them with a hot chili or 2 in the brine. Love them on a burger or sammich.

This year i went with the NuMex Big Jim for my main mild pepper. They are supposed to get huge. The Cowhorn gets kinda big too but has a tiny bit more heat. Im hoping they make a good base for hot sauce. I like to use a good semi mild pepper as the base and heat it up with some other hot to very hot varieties.

11. jehrbo

jehrbo Full Fledged Member

Serranos, cayene, jalapeños and anchos/poblanos.....I think a rabbit got through the iron gates and attacked my jalapenos though....we'll see how this pans out. Already starting to see good production from the other 3.

12. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Just went out and checked plants and watered. The crazy Super Chilil is already covered in small peppers again. I took about 18-20 off it maybe a week ago. My habanero is just now getting a tiny pepper or two and has many flowers. Early Jalapeno has 1 and many flowers. Ive got 3 serranos ready but ive leaving them alone and see if i can get them to turn red. Lemon drop has 2 (green) and some flowers. Numex Big Jim dont have squat but the plants look ok.

Never grew serrano before. Plants look really health but not much foliage for its height. 2 of my habaneros look kinda scraggly too but the 3rd one is turning into a small shrub and its the one in a pot. Lemon drops are doing good but they were a slight struggle before it warmed up a lot. Those and the habanero really didn't like the cool temps at all. Neither really came to life until we had a week of 90F+ days

13. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Serrano and one of the Super Chili plants.
    [​IMG]

Another Super Chili. This one is tiny but still produces a crazy amounts of peppers for its size.
    [​IMG]

2 more serranos. They all look like this and i have them all in slightly different spots to see how much sun effects them. Cant get over how healthy they look but relatively small amounts of foliage.
    [​IMG]

My Habanero is finally producing.
    [​IMG]

The plant itself looks great.
    [​IMG]

Cowhorn's 2nd pepper. I already ate the first one.
    [​IMG]

Lemon Drop pepper. I miss labeled them before.. This is a Aji Limon. Not a Aji Limo.
    [​IMG]

14. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    We have a banana, several jalapeno, and one yellow bell. First round of Jalapenos are just now getting to harvest size.

I can't convince my wife we need more plants and yet every year she complains that we aren't getting as many as she had hoped.:stickfight:

15. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Habs habs habs and more habs. This little plant rocks. Healthy as an ox and is producing peppers like mad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lemon Drops are doing great but hard to see until they turn yellow.
    [​IMG]

Beautiful Cowhorn.
    [​IMG]

Lots of serranos.
    [​IMG]

Super Chile. These must be the easiest pepper to grow in a pot ive ever seen. Ive picked several dozen of this plant so far and it always look pretty healthy not matter what.
    [​IMG]

16. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    These are gunna hurt. I wish i had more ripe ones. The plant is loaded with green pods and is still producing new blooms.
    [​IMG]

17. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I've got 2 habits plants that are producing this week. Jalepenos (4) have done well too. Bought one plant labeled Salsa Pepper that is going gangbusters. Just about three perfect heat for salsa- a touch milder than jalepeno.

About to start picking sweet Italian peppers too. Lots of red dragons on the plants, but not close to ripe yet.

I'm making mango/apricot/habanero jelly in the next couple days. Good stuff spread over a block of cream cheese... Raspberry Jalepeno will be next week.

Attached Files:

18. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    When i get enough ripe ones im going to try

Habanero
    Mango
    Carrot
    Pineapple juice concentrate

Probably add some allspice berries and cloves too.

The other one wont be sweet. Mostly carrot, habs and some milder peppers. Ive been trying to find a super mild habanero like a Aji Dulce or a NuMex Suave but no luck.

19. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    These are going to make a truly exceptional hot sauce.
    [​IMG]

20. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    This burns just looking at them. I used a hab in my curry last nite. It sure gave it some zip.
    [​IMG]