Weekend at Taneycomo

Discussion in 'Trout & Fly Fishing' started by Sully, May 9, 2017.

1. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    Since Truman is all screwed up me and an my best friend headed to Taneycomo this weekend , had a great trip ! Wish I'd have taken more pictures but stayed busy catching fish !

Lake front cabin at Lilleys grilled steaks and consumed a few adult beverages in the evening !!

Attached Files:

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Nice fish....but I thought Taneycomo was flooded?:confused:

3. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Active Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Gates are open, but it is only pushing 20k cfs right now. It is high and the fishing is great! Wish I could get down there this month, but not sure it will happen. With Beaver and Tablerock being as high as they are, they should be generating water for a while.

4. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    They had some damage ...few private docks tore up but the water was down enough to get on all the resort docks .

Fishing was GREAT , we stayed in the trophy area most of the time . The fish were running ( in my opinion ) way above average size . We caught over a 100 fish in 2 1/2 days of fishing and lots in the 17 to 19 inch range ... Best trout trip i've ever been on

5. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    Got some pics off my phone

Attached Files:

6. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Didn't know Taney had crabs too!

:eek::

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

No ,, No ,, No. Sully and his friend had crabs ,,,,with their steaks. :rolleyes:

8. catdaddy

catdaddy blu bogart

Dec 30, 2007
    t'aint say'n
    nice'ns.Lot of good color and spots on them bow's.:eek::

9. htredneck

htredneck Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    I'm with mailman... I would have thought staying anywhere along Taneycomo would require scuba gear. I was hoping to spend some time down there in early June so maybe that will still work out.

Congrats on a nice trip!

10. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Looks like a great time Sully. If you'd care to post up what you used and how deep the fish were biting may be helpful for some.

11. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Active Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    You will be fine in June unless another monsoon hits that area. They are currently running 20k CFS through Tablerock Dam, but it sounds like they may be dropping it down to 15k CFS. It should stay like that for a while until Beaver and Tablerock come back down to normal summer pool. You should be hitting it just right. Pick up some shad flies or white wooly buggers, swivels and some 1/4oz bell sinkers and go have a ball! I've always had really good luck throwing jerk baits tight to the bank in eddies and inside bends with wood cover in heavy flow down there as well. I usually catch quite a few browns doing that.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  12. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Very cool Sully, some great look'n fish there.

Surf n Turf don't look bad neither. :eek::

13. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    White 1/8 oz jigs or drifting shad flies on a 3/8 rig ... caught a few drifting a scud but the shad pattern produced much better !

14. htredneck

htredneck Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Here's a silly question...
    I have only been in the area around Lilly's... what is the other end like for fishing?

15. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    I couldn't tell you .... I've never fished past the landing. Living on Truman Trout fishing is a novelty to me ( I'm still learning ) so I have always stayed as far upstream as I can , where all the guides go .

16. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Years ago I stayed at Rockaway Beach. We boated a long way up stream to catch many trout. Not many were fishing trout on that end then. That was close to 30 years ago , but I wouldn't think water temps ect have changed that much.

17. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    It's been years ago now, but Rockaway beach is where we used to go. Caught trout right there, and even down lake a mile or so.:wave:

Of course, we fished prostaff style, powerbait, and a cooler full of beer. :D

18. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Taney is a 30 min drive from my house and I almost never go there.....

Should take my girls down there now that we have a boat.

Good stuff Sully!:cheers:

19. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Active Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    I noticed from the pictures your boat has the trolling motor pedal recessed into the floor. How do you like that? Seems like it would be more comfortable recessed than just siting on top of the deck like mine. As I'm getting older running a trolling motor for hours is getting hard on my knee.

20. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I noticed that too... I personally am thinking about going hand control bow mount on my new boat, to keep clutter out of the boat for one, and thinking a bow mounted hand control motor might be useful when picking up dekes. :thinking:

But like the look of the recessed foot control..