Wanting to Learn - Squirrel and Rabbit hunting

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by 00dlez, Jul 26, 2017.

1. 00dlez

00dlez New Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Thanks for looking out - I realized that after my post.

I really did want to have the chance to use either/both. Depending on how clear a shot I really have, in my mind I really would prefer to use 22 subsonic rounds primarily and the 20 gauge only when needed.

I double checked Amidon CA and the allow for both - but only a "fair" population... How accurate are MDCs ratings for that sort of thing?

2. MOGC

MOGC Active Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    Again, look west or north toward MTL. I'm not speculating when I say this.

3. 00dlez

00dlez New Member

Aug 21, 2014
    White CA is on my shortlist at the moment

4. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Danville CA, reifschnider .ca. Little lost creek ca, Logan and Whiteside all have squirrel populations worth spending time there.

5. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    I like LLC the best as there are no roads that criss cross it. Most folks will only walk 150 yards from parking lots to hunt. Go in deeper, hang orange tape if you are uncertain So you can get back out.please take the tape with you on the way back out.

6. tinker

tinker Member

Dec 21, 2011
    MO Pike county - troy
    Daniel boon wildlife area is close to st louis. Lots of hickory trees. Man today would be a great day to go. Nice n cool. Hickory will be ready in 2 or 3 more weeks.

7. 00dlez

00dlez New Member

Aug 21, 2014
    All great tips! Thanks guys!

8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Active Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    They're in the pig nuts here right now. Unfortunately there isn't a shag bark on the place.

9. tinker

tinker Member

Dec 21, 2011
    MO Pike county - troy
    Just looked outside. Squirrels are hitting the hickory nuts now.

10. GTOHunter

GTOHunter Active Member

I've noticed when it's late Winter and Early Spring and the Nut Crop is pretty well gone or just getting started growing the Squirrels are on the ground much more looking for stashed nuts from the Fall that they have hid or even looking for different types of wild mushrooms so keep Your eyes open for them at a lower level too.

In early Spring and Summer I look for Mulberry Tree's that Squirrels will be in and even the Nuts might not be totally ripe yet the Squirrels still go to those Tree's and chew around on the Young Hickory Nuts and Acorns....just not as good or frequent and a mature Ripe Crop of Nuts! :thinking:

11. sharps4590

sharps4590 Active Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Spring time....mulberry's + squirrels = goldmine!!!!

Skduckhunt and GTOHunter like this.