Tape worm/ other?

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by LovinTheHuntin, Feb 9, 2017.

1. LovinTheHuntin

LovinTheHuntin Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Macon co.
    I called conservation, but the biologist is out till Monday. Ive shot alot of rabbits through out the years and today i went out back to shoot a couple which i did and one had white spots on the guts. Not just the liver but throughout. I didnt see any in the meat, and i googled what it could ve but im still uncertain because the google images arent the same as what i see. I assumed a tape worm or something like that. They almost resemble the little white orm you may often see in fish from streams or ponds. Or maybe a better description is a small piece of popcorn. It like some one threw popcorn inside of the rabbit. Lol.
    Anyone have a better idea what it mat be??

Since then i have bleached everything i had touched and showerd. Lol some were saying tularemia.

2. bigjohn

bigjohn Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Marshall,Mo
    Sounds like bladder worms. Nothing to worry about as long as cooked properly. Rabbits do carry tape worms from ingesting fleas and eating feces of other rabbits, so infected.
    Tularema infected rabbits liver would look like it was sprinkled with white pepper. White spots (one or two) are usually scars left by parasites. Of the thousands of rabbits I've killed, I've never seen or heard of a case in Mo. I have caught beaver though that were infected with it.

3. LovinTheHuntin

LovinTheHuntin Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Macon co.
    Thanks for the response. Definately wasnt white pepper looking.

4. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    No pics ???

5. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Killed a lot of them, have White with looks like a little snot around them. Clean them good and cook up Good.

Killed plenty with this. But I give my Dogs the Guts and Head this is why I worm Dogs regular.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin had Worms but is Fat now.

6. LovinTheHuntin

LovinTheHuntin Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Macon co.
    Cleaned them in the field and didnt bring a phone or camera.

7. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    Those are tapeworm in the larvae stage. My dad got tularemia from a rabbit in Missouri years ago he said he felt like he was gonna die. Ever since then we gut them with rubber gloves.

8. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    I wouldn't think we had a cold enough winter to kill off tularemia

9. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    A cold winter doesn't have anything to do with it.