Slime or new UTV tires?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Gamegetter, May 4, 2017.

1. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    I have two flats on my new Polaris Ranger UTV, I'm sure due to locust sprouts I've been battling. I'm giving up on plugging, not sure if I should slime all tires or buy a better set of thicker ply tires?

2. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
    I'd try the slime at least, should do great with pinholes from thorns. We slimed our old 4 wheelie tires and never had problems till they started to dry rot. Ran her thru corn that was cut for silage and they were done. Bad deal.

3. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    Bad part about slime that I've found is if you have a hole or two and you park your UTV and the holes are on the "top" of the tire as it is parked air will leak out over time. If they're on the bottom then the slime will settle into the holes and no leaks.

4. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Active Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    I've got holes in my tires from thorns and still get flats even with slime. The holes are in the sidewall and I can see where the slime leaks out the holes but it doesn't seal.

5. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I slime mine & have very few flats. If the hole's too big for slime to fix it, I put a plug in it. I carry a small compressor & plug kit on the bike.

6. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Active Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    6 ply tires when you buy .

7. Yahoo

Yahoo Active Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    If its going to happen again and again, I'd nurse these tires through with slime for awhile. Even better tires aren't going to make it go away are they?

8. crappiehunter18

crappiehunter18 Member

Nov 9, 2014
    When you buy your next set of tires, have them filled with the foam that sets up.Little rougher ride,but NO flats...ever.For half worn tires not worth doing it

9. vonfatman

vonfatman Member

Dec 31, 2006
    The downside of foam, poorer ride and more wear on drive components do to the additional weight. I'd use slime...I have two mules, one atv and my grasshopper slimed and have not had a leak in many many moons.

10. Boone11

Boone11 Member

Aug 3, 2011
    central mo
  11. Boone11

Boone11 Member

Aug 3, 2011
    central mo
  12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
  13. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO

Mounting is easy. Getting the old ones off could be a pain.

14. killmode

killmode Deplorable member

Slime is good stuff. I always run it. Found out recently it fixes Avian X decoys that took more than a few pellets too

15. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I have slimed tires with pretty good results. But even slime won't cure problems with large holes like a sapling stob might make.

16. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
    Tire changer gonna hate you with using that slime ,,,,,,,plug on a thin walled tire ,i wouldnt,,,,,,,patch is better

17. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

I was having the same issue. I had them slimed but still would get holes from the thorns or slow leaks. Upgraded to a thicker ply tire and have one plug in them for two years now.

18. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Probably be easier to sell your place and buy another that doesn't have locust trees.....problem solved.

19. NoLuck

NoLuck Active Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Look into Tire Balls. We ran then in our quads when we ran out west in the desert. Even if it gets a puncture, it'll still get you home.

20. RHenshaw

RHenshaw New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Independence, Mo.
    There isn't many tires around that will stand up to Locust Thorns, I Slimed all my tires on my ATV, slime even works good on Weather Cracked Tires, if your holes are on the side walls I'd put a Heavy Patch on it then Slime it.....