Side by Side ATVs

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Country, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Country

Country New Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Osage Co
    Whos got a "side by side" what brand and model and what is your opinion of it. I'd sure like to get something like that but there are a lot of options now a days everyone is building them.

2. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    Been doin a lot of research myself,still leaning towards the Rhino.I will be keepin an eye on this

3. DeereMan

DeereMan New Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Lee's Summit, MO
    If you can wait a little longer. John Deere is going to be coming out with a few machines that are more sporty.

4. Meller

Meller Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Last years john deers are pretty nice, A far cry from the original gator

5. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    I've had a 610 mule for about 4 years. Not a speed demon, about 20 mph top end, but 20 through the timber is too fast. It's a workhorse too. Got a small enough footprint you can load it in the back of a full size truck & it fit between the wheel wells, but it's still big enough to haul 2 grown men comfortably. Parker & I have rode side by side many times. I'm not small & he's huge.:rof2:

6. Country

Country New Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Osage Co
    I'm really most interested in its utility, I don't need to win races with whatever I get, and I probably won't buy new, the price tag is just to high for me.

7. hambone2008

hambone2008 New Member

May 26, 2008
    audrain
    i dont own but have rode in / drove several.... the rhino is ok.... not exactly the best in my opinion.... makes for a good work horse..... but if you want a good fun side by side.... the polaris ranger rzr is where its at.... great power/ speed goes anywhere does anything.... but not the great for hauling..... just my :02:

8. Meller

Meller Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Mule are good, hardworking I just dont like the upright bench seat, Rhino are ok but not real good for hard work, Polaris Ranger are kind in between in my opinion.

NOT a fan of the old john deer gators, They didnt have much power and low ground clearance.

Id say Mule or Ranger are good bets for a Working Machine

9. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    It depends on what you need it for. Work? Sport? How many people you want to carry? Versatility? I have a Kawasaki Mule 3010. It is a work machine, yet still fun to ride (especially for the kids). It is by no means a 'sporty' ATV. It is extremely versatile because it has 2 bench seats (Only Polaris Ranger also offers this) which seats 4- 6 people depending on size. The rear seat also lays down to dramatically increase the payload capacity when needed (Something the Polaris Ranger does not do). All in all it fit my needs well.

10. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1434194&tid=100407&author=Country]I'm really most interested in its utility, I don't need to win races with whatever I get, and I probably won't buy new, the price tag is just to high for me. [/rquote]

610 mule is probably the cheapest name brand new machine you'll buy. Last I heard, the were under 7K for green or red. I bought mine to work with mainly. Pulled an 8' disc one summer. Worked 8 acres about 3 times. Has tow ability of 1000# & cargo capacity of 400# plus 2 riders.

Last winter, at the pheasant hunt, I was pulling a trailer behind it with 2 hunters in wheelchairs, had longbow on the trailer with them & 1 guy in bed. Myself, shedhead & his son were in the front. The only time we got stuck was when we high centered. It's a workhorse, that's for sure.

11. Mad-Shooter

Mad-Shooter New Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Montrose, MO
    I'd have to put a vote in on the Polaris Ranger....My dad has one and does a great job for his needs with working cattle and up keep on fences, that sort of thing. It is also nice to NOT have the console in the middle like some models, leaves room for another rider in the middle. I also like that it is faster than other brands due to driving on gravel roads and chasin' cattle when they get out. Just my experience with the Ranger. Good luck in your decision!:cheers:

12. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    If I had your money, I'd get a Kubota diesel and be done with it.

13. Country

Country New Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Osage Co
    [rquote=1434242&tid=100407&author=cummins5.9]If I had your money, I'd get a Kubota diesel and be done with it.[/rquote]

Your gonna have to buy more fireworks next year if I'm gonna go that route bud

14. rmr

rmr New Member

we have a Ez Go Golf Car that we modified lift kit big wheels etc , love it,
    about 1/2 price maybe a third of the price of a mule gator etc, I have used it to pull a small trailer, it probably isnt the work horse the other utvs are but if you are just wanting something to use for transportation around the farm and some light work, mine works great.
    I have a rack that fits in a receiver hitch and have hauled out a couple of pretty good bucks no problem
    here is the only picture I could find of it.

[file]73965[/file]

15. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way
    I vote for the Mule also. Friends of mine have 2 of them in the diesel variety. Can't be beat.

16. joebuck

joebuck New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    St. Peters
    We have a Arctic Cat Prowler i think its the best overall side-by-side...Sporty and a Work Horse.

17. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I've had a Polaris Ranger 4x4 for 4 years now...

1,500 lbs. towing capacity, and 1,000 lbs. bed capacity (adjustable), with a manual dump bed.

FYI ~ mine has the 500cc engine...the newer ones are (I think) 650cc. Of course, the newer engines came out shortly (VERY shortly) after I bought mine. I was disappointed at first (you know ~ bigger = better), but now that I've owned mine for 4 years (without complaints or disappointments), it's not a big deal.

I've had 2 adults (including myself) riding, while I was pulling one of those foodplot planters at the same time...and no issues.

It has a bench seat, and has room enough for 3 adults. I did install a gun rack last year...you can still fit 3 adults in the cab...the middle adult just has to straddle the gun rack.

It's a real workhorse....I have a winch & brushguard installed on the front, also.

In the first pic, that would be my Polaris Ranger & Pinwheel's Mule...we're planting HUGE foodplots, and hanging stands. :D

[file]73975[/file] [file]73973[/file] [file]73971[/file]

18. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I like my Razr, partly because the bucket seats give me the back support I need. I can't do bench seats, even in cars and trucks. I got the winch and the Kolpin gun racks on it too, but the racks can easily be taken off when not needed.

[file]74073[/file]

19. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1435638&tid=100407&author=GoGop]I like my Razr, partly because the bucket seats give me the back support I need. I can't do bench seats, even in cars and trucks. I got the winch and the Kolpin gun racks on it too, but the racks can easily be taken off when not needed.

[/rquote]

I like your Razr too. a whole lot. :cheers:

20. antlerart06

antlerart06 New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Kirksville
    We have a 500 Ranger runs about 55mph has high and low we use alot work/check cattle It will go any where I mean any where Climbs better then a ATV does In 2005 it was #1 in hauling and pulling and I say still is from what i seen
    Love to get a Razr just doesn t carry much but be a fun ride to have