Scope?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by oneshot 1, May 12, 2017.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok I have used a Pin for years. Last year I put a regular Rifle Scope on it last year. Set it for 30 yards, if its 40 yards shoot a little High if its 20 yards shoot a little Low.

Think I would be better with Crossbow Scope or leave it the way it is?

And how about a Range Finder? usually shot Deer close and have let Deer 40 yards walk because just looking I thought they were too far.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin lets them get in biting distance.

2. xx75

xx75 Active Member

Love my crossbow scope with lighted pins. But like you I do not shoot at anything over 30 yds. The scope on my crossbow has marks in it for 20, 30, 40, and 50 yds. the crossbow is pretty close at each mark. I'm just afraid a deer will move on me past 30 yds.

3. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok there is a lot that can happen between point A and point B so yes I should continue to keep my shots 30 yards and less.

So I should stay with the KISS method. And not buy into the Hype of the 80 yard shot and keep in mind a Crossbow is a short range weapon.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin likes Kisses.

4. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Active Member

Mar 22, 2014
    As loud as a crossbow is a deer can do a lot between the time you pull the trigger and the time it travels 60 to 80 yards. I shot a coyote last fall with mine after I used a range finder and at 50 yards that coyote didn't know what hit him.

5. Curtis

Curtis New Member

My understanding is a regular rifle scope is not made to handle the vibration recoil that a crossbow creates. If you have a cheap scope on it, I'd probably just keep it on until it gives you problems. I'd be prepared to throw it in the trash though.

I'd rather have a plain duplex reticle on the crossbow. The milldot has lot going on and you can accidentally use the wrong one. You have the right idea at setting it for 30 yards. IMO as loud as a crossbow is, 40 yards is your max and only if the deer is calm. People who shoot long distance are using compounds.