Reloading .308 Subsonic

Discussion in 'Reloading Tips & Tricks' started by Dingo_thebabyeater, May 11, 2017.

1. Dingo_thebabyeater

Dingo_thebabyeater Disabled & Deadly

Apr 10, 2017
    St. Louis
    I've recently got back into reloading rifle rounds for my .223 and my .308. I'm wanting to try loading subsonic rounds for both but mainly my .308. I pretty much only load 168gr Sierra or Hornady bullets. Is there anyone that can help me out with subsonic loads. What powder do you prefer and how much powder grain weight do you load. Also does anyone hunt with suppressors? I've had a Gun trust for a few years now and always wanted to try hunting with a suppressor but don't know much about the ballistics when using them past 100 yards.

2. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I'm going to subscribe to this..looks to be interesting

3. Phil in MO

Phil in MO White Gold Prostaff

Nov 3, 2012
    Kansas City, MO
    Had a friend who has loaded some 7mm-08 in subsonic, shooting with a suppressor. We had to pick our jaws up off the floor it was sooo quiet. Trailboss was the powder. Somewhere in the 7 to 9 grain range for the 7mm-08. Honestly it's a bit scary and the lobbing it out there was a factor. I have a pound of Trailboss, but I haven't had the desire to work up a load yet for the 243.

4. bluecan

bluecan Long time listener, first time caller

Never done it, but my first thought when starting a subsonic load would be to get the heaviest bullet you can find to maximize energy. With the 308 i believe that is 220gr.

5. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 New Member

May 17, 2007
    mo
    Member here named bulletman would be where I would start.

6. jon-jon

jon-jon Member

Mar 9, 2012
    como
    Subscribed

7. Matt_in_KC

Matt_in_KC Captain Obvious

Jan 12, 2015
    Kansas City
    My 7mm-08 with 9.7 grains of Trail Boss with a 160gr. Sierra Gameking out of a 22 inch barrel got me @1060 fps. I bumped it to 10 grains and they were still subsonic.

8. bulletman

bulletman Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sedalia
    Trailboss as has been mentioned will get you down to the speed you need.

9. Dingo_thebabyeater

Dingo_thebabyeater Disabled & Deadly

Apr 10, 2017
    St. Louis
    What kind of trail boss? Ive never used it before. I usually just use Ramshot.

10. bulletman

bulletman Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sedalia
    Hodgdon powder, it's a very bulky powder that is intended for such applications. The kernels look like a donut, includ8mg the hole in the middle. Be aware when you buy it there isn't a pound in the container, it's so bulky they can only get 12 ounces in a normal one pound contaier

11. Mule

Mule Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    There is a lot of information in the cast bullet forums.

I would be reluctant to shoot cast on a regular basis out of a gas operated auto loader.

For yard vermin, don't overlook a .310" round ball seated over s small dose of Unique or Red Dot.