Reloaded shell

Discussion in 'Reloading Tips & Tricks' started by coachjeff1, Mar 27, 2017.

1. coachjeff1

coachjeff1 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    St. Charles, Mo.
    This is a pic of a reloaded 38 spl. and a factory load. Left is factory. I'm nervous about the crimp on the reload. Does it look right? First time reloading pistol shells. ImageUploadedByMissouri Hunting1490661720.177868.jpg

2. htredneck

htredneck Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Not only is the crimp not right, the overall length of the cartridge looks too long as well.

3. manitou1

manitou1 Active Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
    Little bit much on the crimp brother. You should only barely be able to see a crimp, if any. It is mostly a feel. Can check with calipers. Just a light pressure on your press handle is all it takes. You will need to screw that die out a lot, raise your piston on the press all the way, then screw the die down until it touches. Lower the piston on the press and start with just 1/8 to 1/4 turn down on the die. Lots of youtube videos on setting up dies.

4. htredneck

htredneck Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    What brand of dies are you using?

5. coachjeff1

coachjeff1 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    St. Charles, Mo.
    Lee dies and I checked the length with a micrometer and they are the exact same length. I will back off on the crimp and try again. Later, thanks!

6. fstchkn

fstchkn Active Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I use the same dies, just need to back it off. You're also comparing that to what looks like an fmj with no cannelure. [​IMG]

7. sharps4590

sharps4590 Active Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Everyone is right, too much crimp from the die being screwed in too far. Manitou told you how and fst showed you how they should look. Length was probably shortened by the crimp being so heavy.