New Bait Tank project

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Army SGM, May 19, 2017.

1. Army SGM

Army SGM Mid-Missouri Gun Dogs

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    Ok, been thinking about this for awhile, but just decided to get started. Planning on building a big bait tank using one of those large 275 gallon IBC totes. Just got a smoking deal ($25) on a $200 above ground pool pump that is brand new in the box.

https://www.polygroupstore.com/product-p/p53cp2009w05.htm

Talking to a guy about picking up a used tote this weekend.

2. Clucker

Clucker Active Member

Sounds like a lot of pump for that size tank.

3. Army SGM

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    Initially I thought it might be, but after researching on catfish1.com I don't think it is. This one is 2000 gph. This guy used one that is 2400 gph:

Here is the link to his set up:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/show...ank-DONE-WOOT-WOOT!!!&highlight=275+bait+tank

4. plumbob

plumbob Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Dixon, MO
    I like that. We have a old freezer and a pool pump, just haven't started putting it together yet

5. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    How do you keep the water cool during the summer?

6. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Active Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    Dad used frozen one gallon milk jugs. He had a few so he could rotate them as he needed.

7. Army SGM

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    I have a small room in my shed that is partially finished (ie insulated) and it usually stays fairly cool in there. It has an outside window that I could put a small a/c unit but I hope it is not needed.

8. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Active Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Hard core bait tank there.

9. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Frozen milk jugs help a ton to keep healthy baits. G Juice is great for the water also.

And being sure to only have green sunfish in the tank, and not bluegill. Bluegill will pixx up a tank something fierce and that ammonia is a killer. (G Juice is a neutralizer, but it can't keep up with a bunch of gills).

10. Army SGM

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    Made some progress today. Got it filled with about 175 gallons to give it a test drive and cycle the water through to dechlorinate it. Need to finish up the plumbing tomorrow to the bio filter.

Attached Files:

11. bverboy

bverboy Member

Dec 1, 2015
    lincoln county
    I use an old chest type freezer and hang an aerator in it.. ive had 500 bluegill in it before and changed the water every other day for the week I was holding them... I also add finer shiner..

12. Army SGM

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    The plan includes a bio filter which once it is gets going will have bacteria that will turn the ammonia into nitrite and then into nitrates.

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/biological-live-bait-tank-water-filtration.htm

13. Army SGM

Jan 5, 2013
    Auxvasse, MO
    I finished the plumbing today and it has been running for a few hours to make sure there are no issues. Some of the valves and fittings were not cheap, but well worth it to hook up a garden hose and turn a valve to pump out water when I need to do a partial water change and add new. Waiting on some filter media that I ordered to get here next week and then I will be ready to start the bacteria cycle.

Attached Files: