Nest predator removal thread.

Discussion in 'Trapping/Furbearing' started by henry, Nov 29, 2016.

1. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Not sure that would even be legal, it's not a land set technically. Chime in anytime MDC.

2. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    New format got me. Meant to quote Henry about setting a conibear in a truck bed. I'm leaning illegal during off season.

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I imagine it would fall under depredation removal. I don't know if they frown on lethal sets for that or not.

4. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Active Member

Mar 22, 2014
    If there bugging me or somebody else in the summer time I will release them onto other people's land. I wouldn't want to offend anybody!!!! Lol

5. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    I had a Animal damage control contractor that told me he released all his coons at some property where they didn't pay their bill.

6. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Active Member

Mar 22, 2014
    I think Henrys farm is a popular place to turn coons loose from live traps!!!!!!

farmnhunt likes this.
  7. henry

That's not a very nice thing to do to the coons . :D

8. henry

Didn't see any hens or poults on todays trip to the farm. Lots of machinery work and activity. Couldn't sneak up on them in a skid loader.

Did get some pics of them though.

One hen did real good for us. She still has 8 poults in tow and they are probably approaching 3/4ths grown.

My hottest spot isn't getting any sightings or pics since we disked it up. I should have expected that since it would ruin the bugging. Another spot we just disked some strips in is still getting activity. Probably because the clover is producing bugs for the babies. IMG_0044.JPG STC_0024.JPG IMG_0044.JPG STC_0024.JPG

Clucker likes this.
  9. henry

Co-owner of the farm got a hen with poults on his cam in a 1acre clover patch about a 1/4 mile from these others. It's been a good year for production for a big change.

10. yankee

yankee Senior Member

Looking good todd

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Thats got to feel good I'd bet.

12. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Active Member

Oct 28, 2014
    TODAY I HEARD SOMETHING AT HAZELVILLE I HAVE NOT HEARD IN A LONG TIME. The key key run call, in the summer time. i am also able to update that at lest 9 of 14 hens were able to hatch a egg at last.THE NUMBER OF COON REMOVED OFF OF 268 acres IS NOW ONE FOR EVERY 2 ACRES. ON A MILE AREA the factual removal would equate to a population density of 320 per acre. BUT THERE ARE STILL MORE OF THEM. If COON POPULATION DENSITY OF 30 IS THOUGHT TO BE GOOD THEN 10 TIMES THAT IS WHAT HAS OCCURRED, DIVERSITY DESTROYING. Hope to speak to some experts sat. at the mdc open house.

13. henry

Yes it does. Getting some balance looks to be what was needed.

14. henry

The open house at Kirksville was night before last.

15. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Can coon control outside the trapping season be considered predator control or are we asking for problems with the DOC? I'm like you I have too many coons.

16. henry

You would need to show damage of some kind to remove them outside of season.

17. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Thanks Henry, that's what I thought.

18. henry

I saw a group of birds at the farm today. Nothing I could count to put on my survey card. They were on a sandbar in the creek west of the crossing. I flushed them when I drove through the crossing. Turkeys of different sizes flew up into the brush is all I could say.

None on cam this week.

19. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Active Member

Oct 28, 2014
    I figured that out this Morning. I am updated to 10 of 14 hens that were able to hatch a egg. I will need to get a hen to pout ratio set before bow season.It will be the high water mark that will be diluted from turkey coming in from out side the control area where there may still be 300 coon a square mile.
    UP HERE SETTING THE COON POPULATION DENSITY BACK TO CLOSER TO WHERE IT was in the 1980,s combined with no excess moisture thru the nesting season has produced the explosion in population growth promised the last 28 nesting seasons. I am confident the control area of the turkey study that did not move the smoking gun variable of coon population density will still have what is possible be held back by the compounded problem of coons gone wild and out of control. THEY WILL NOT record nesting sucess of 75 percent and a hen to pout ratio in September above 4.0 because the limiting factor limits what is possible.
    While myths are being busted if the mature sows are removed the young being produced will be litters of 2 or 3 not 5 and 6. THE COON WILL NOT RETURN IN TIME TO AFFECT THE TURKEY NESTS AND WHEN THEY DO COME MOST WILL BE JUVENILE MALES. It IS GOING TO BE HARD FOR THE COON TO CONTINUE THERE EXPLOITATION OF EVERYTHING AT HAZELVILLE DESTROYING diversity and negatively effecting every critter in the woods. MALES DON,T PRODUCE MANY YOUNG AND THE CIRCLE OF CONTROL WILL BE EXTENDED . A good sponge will really put the hammer to the smoking gun pest.

20. Eric Rudolf

Eric Rudolf Active Member

Sep 23, 2013