need your score opinion!!

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by Moonshiner, Nov 23, 2015.

1. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    This isn't exactly true. It exists on the scoresheet and is also deducted from the typical score, unless the rack is measured as a non-typical.

Gross inches are more interesting to me for the most part, but I will admit to having a fascination for the top shelf B&C typicals. A deer that net scores above 200 inches is a wonder to behold.

BTW Shiner: Thats an awesome buck and I would be very proud of him.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  2. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    I'm not familiar with the history of these guys, but they had an honest intent if they're the ones who developed the scoring system B&C uses. I'm sure they spent a fair amount of time and really thought the whole system out in a thorough manner, but over time it has become apparent that deducting something from a set of antlers isn't very fair to what the deer grew. I suggested in a thread I started a way to re-think how we score deer. What I suggested is very similar to the Buckmaster scoring system, but my problem with the Buckmaster system is that they over-thought the categories to point of being confusing as to how a set of antlers is classified.

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193407

3. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    I want volumetric measurement

4. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    That's been tried too. I wasn't impressed.

5. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Pretty interesting read on the History of the Records keeping.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/records_history.asp?area=bgRecords

6. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO

who did, and how did they do it, what did you not like about it?

7. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 New Member

May 17, 2007
    mo
    Deductions make about as much sense as the spread credit. I mean what is that all about, giving a deer credit for air? :confused:

8. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Well it has been a number of years, but I believe I read about it in an article in North American Whitetail (honestly could have been another magazine) where they looked at the different scoring systems and there were a few guys that had come up with a scoring system where you dip the antlers into a calibrated tank of water to come up with a volume measurement. So I can't remember he source of that and I'm not sure there are any folks still doing it.

I think the measurement was expressed in cubic inches, but it could have been cubic centimeters. Cubic inches are great for engine measurements but it was just lackluster to me on antlers.

What's impressive about a big set of antlers?

"Seventeen points? NO WAY"

"WOW — 15-inch G-2s"

"OMG — 30-inch main beams"

"Holy crap — 7-inch bases"

Totally my own subjective reaction in regards to volume.

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Senior Hunter

Difference between side to side are still deducted even when scoring non-typical so you are still taking away what is there like it doesn't exist. Ya you do add the abnormal points but I don't like taking away inches when you are scoring non-typical. I can maybe see deducting when scoring "typical" because it sorta means symmetrical. But "non-typical" means not symmetrical. IMO

Nice Buck by the way. Congrats!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  10. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    Disagree. Typicals and non typicals have to have the same starting point!

11. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    If they are giants, score is just a bonus. Is be happy witha 130", 100" side and 30" funky side

12. CamoNinja

CamoNinja New Member

Jun 15, 2017
    If it scored anywhere near 100" on one side, and only 30" on the other, I would be a little upset he didn't have the other half of my membership in the 200" Club!!

13. 421sd

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Hey CamoNinja, which unbanded member are you?

Welcome...../......welcome back.....?