Minnow Pond

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by Hawk, May 10, 2017.

1. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Anyone ever made one? We have a couple very small ponds on our place that don't have any fish in them right now and were curious what it would take to make a minnow pond. Do you just buy a bunch of minnow and throw em in and let them go? Do they reproduce rapidly? Do you need fat head minnows?

2. kcangler84

kcangler84 Senior Member

Apr 4, 2009
    South of KC
    I am getting ready to do this exact same thing. I've got one that is about 2-3 feet deep and maybe 15 feet accross and plan to buy about 3 to 5 lbs of minnows to put in and see what happens. From what I understand they reproduce at an extremely fast rate and should provide plenty of minnows for fishing and then putting in other ponds throughout the summer into fall.

3. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    And they die over the winter in the breeder pond?

4. kcangler84

kcangler84 Senior Member

Apr 4, 2009
    South of KC
    I would try to seine most of them out to put in other ponds. Either way with the price of minnows near me they would easily pay for themselves with about a dozen fishing trips.

5. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I put fat heads in my pond when it was coming up, in preparation for stocking the following spring. They told me they'd breed at least 3-4 times by then....

As long as pond is deep enough to not freeze all the way down, I don't know why you couldn't do this... :shrug:

6. huntinmo

huntinmo Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    Coons will clean out a shallow pond! :pop:

7. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I don't know how shallow the pond is, but there is cover in the pond for them. Id bet its at least 6 feet deep or mor in the middle.

8. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Active Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Put bullheads in it.

9. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Do bullheads make good crappie bait??? :D

10. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Active Member

Oct 28, 2014
    i am planning the same thing. A small pond and a cistern for my heritage barn that will not see any waste for quite a while . both are 6 feet or deeper. Do not fish but the fishing guys speak highly of the golden shiner.

11. kcangler84

kcangler84 Senior Member

Apr 4, 2009
    South of KC
    I'll take the risk for $30.

12. TATER

TATER New Member

My understanding is that you will want to put some kind of hard cover in the pond for the minnows to nest on to increase the yield. I believe I was old old roofing shingles worked well on a wood structure to keep them off the bottom to keep from getting silted in.

13. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Active Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Probably NOT!!!!! Lol

14. killmode

killmode Deplorable member

Over time fish cranes will likely bring other fish or fertile eggs in stuck to their feet. We are going to Rotenone our bait pond later this month and start over. Bluegill have taken over. Great for 7 yrs till the bluegill showed up. 3 yrs later, they have taken over.

15. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    A friend of mine runs a minnow hatchery and when I built my pond I put in a bunch of fathead minnows first before other species. I asked him is there anything I could do to get the minnows to spawn. He told me to get a few wooden pallets and stack up a couple on the edge of the pond flat and weight them down with rocks. Most likely the bottom pallet will sink quite a bit into the mud but the top one will be submerged leaving an open area where the minnows can swim into and lay their eggs on the underneath side of the top boards of the submerged pallet. Another friend just cut a bunch of good sized brush (tree limbs) and piled them in the inlet to the pond in about 2 foot of water. It worked for him. As for mine....my pallets sunk in the silt and were completely covered in mud and were useless for the minnows to spawn.

The photo below is of a pile of pallets that will eventually be covered with water once the pond fills.

Attached Files:

16. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    The above pallets will be a great spot for the Great Blue Herron to perch grabbing all your minnows.

17. dalek

dalek New Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Southern Oklahoma
    I have one , just throw in a few dozen, a little feed helps growth a lot. You will have all you need

18. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    Minnow pond would be great but you should verify it truly has no fish in it now. Green sunfish are particularly good at getting into any pond - generally by swimming upstream during a heavy rain. Just in the last month I drained a 1/2 acre cattle pond mostly with a 2" PVC pipe siphon. Then used pallets to get out to the middle without sinking to my chest in muck, pumped out more water, then used 100 pounds of hydrated lime to kill the sunfish, little crappie, and shiners. The recent big rains have filled it back up and now I can start over with quality fish in a pond. If I has tossed in fathead minnows, they would have been eaten fast.

19. Ringer

Ringer Active Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    Can ya have crawdads in a minnow pond and they all do ok? I just go to the nearest creek or river and trap all the minnows I want.

20. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo

At one time the owner of Missouri Goldfish Hatchery (no gold fish now...all minnows) had trouble with crawdads in his 200 minnow ponds eating just as much food that he feeds the minnows. Both minnows and crawdads would hear the tractor hauling the feed and come to the edge of the pond to gobble up the fish food he would feed each day. They were a profit killer......until he found buyers for the crawdads which he gets a goodly amount for them. 35 years ago I could drive over with a huge cooler and Randy would gladly fill it with giant sized crawdads. Not so today. He turned a nuisance into a profit.