Lots of poults out today

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Hawk, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Already seen 2 hens with 6 and 4 pheasant sized poults, and another with 7. They must like the freshly bulldozed ground and the cool overcast weather.

2. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    They probably really put a hurting on nest predators in that area.... :D

3. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    What percentage of pouts survive when ran over by a bulldozer?

4. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    It just depends on how many coons are around. Thats the number 1 factor in poult survival....

5. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Absolutely not. On this particular farm there is no trapping of any kind allowed, and no game cams either. I can say for a fact theres no trapping on any of the 3000 acres surrounding this farm.

6. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I always forget, you don't have a sense of humor.... hahaha:eek::

7. techteacher

techteacher Active Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Shouldn't you be working on someone's loan instead of driving around looking at poults? :)

8. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Im doing both!!

9. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Do you live at least 200 miles away from this farm? And can only hunt on specific days ?? . That biologist fella is first gonna shat then he's gonna kill ya! ;) I don't think he covered dozing in the contract though so you might just squeak through ! :wave:

10. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Nope. Even have a house and office on the place...

11. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Glad to hear good report on poults.

12. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Saw two more sets of poults and hens today. Neither was on our farms but they were both close. I think they are coming out to recently mowed CRP to bug. One was a single hen with seven or eight chicken size poults and the other was 2 Hens with 10 poults about 3/4 grown. I've only seen one hen without any pulse so far this summer and I've seen zero gobblers or Jake's. Kind of strange

13. swampchicken

swampchicken Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Have not seen one poult yet in any of my country just lot's of hens with none and some gobblers. I'm loving filling out these poult surveys and recording hens with no poults.

14. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    What county you in swampchicken? Maybe we can get you a positive sighting so you know there is hope. :D

15. BustinBucks

BustinBucks #MakeMWTGreatAgain

Jul 31, 2006
    Eagleville, MO
    Dad and I kicked up some yesterday.

Hawk likes this.
  16. rcg

rcg Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Same here, not a single poult and a lot of adult hens. I said there would be virtually no poults in the areas of the state impacted by the great late April/early May flood at the time of the flood. I recall someone adamantly (and wrongly) disagreeing with me over and over and over at the time......
    Plain and simple, the turkey hatch will suck 100% of the time when those conditions occur anywhere from mid-April on until mid-July. It will either kill/flood the nest or kill the poults. And it don't matter a ding-dong if a nest isn't in a "flood plain". When there is 1-3 inches of 50 degree water everywhere on the ground or running through every little ditch, depression or swale, it kills the eggs that don't actually get washed away.

I've heard the number of nest predators don't hurt the hatch either.:blah:

17. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Flood6.JPG
    We don't seem to have an issue... and I had SWIMMING deer on camera... Your problem must be something other than flooding...

18. Clucker

Clucker Active Member

I have yet to see any small ones but in the last week I have been getting pics of some the size of a chickens.

19. rcg

rcg Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Unless your camera date is off, that picture is June 29th. Lot less of an impact then than late April/early May. Yeah, I know what I said above about the mid-July..... generalization. If it was going to happen, I would rather have 14 inches of rain fall on March 1 or July 1 as I would on May 1 with regards to hurting the hatch.

20. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    The date is right, and these rains in June are MUCH more impactful than flooding in April.