In need of a longer shaft for my trolling motor

Discussion in 'Fishing Gear & Tackle' started by Mailman, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Lets keep the responses clean guys....When I bought my new boat awhile back I had a trolling motor picked out but the dealer offered one that was taken off a new boat for a hundred dollars cheaper than the one I had in mind.

Fast forward......the trolling motor works good enough unless you find yourself in windy conditions that has the bow of the boat raising up and lifting the trolling motor out of the water.

Without buying a new trolling motor with a longer shaft is there a way to get a longer shaft for the one I have? Mine is a MotorGuide FW-FB with a 46 lb thrust and a 12 volt.

Attached Files:

2. crappiehunter18

crappiehunter18 Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Short answer no.Longer one,yes,but need longer wites,etc

3. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Active Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    Lets keep the responses clean guys.

Then why would you title it as such?

I need a longer trolling motor would be more appropriate.

4. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Is that better?

5. RRMan

RRMan Active Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Savannah MO
    I have a minn Kota 45lb thrust with the 45 inch shaft,. When I'm in choppy water and the trolling motor is coming out of the water another 4 or 5 inches of shaft isn't going to make much of a difference. What little research I have done it will take a heck of an upgrade to get longer than 45 inches. There's my 2 cents

6. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    hehehehehe...you said shaft....

7. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Pm sent

8. huntinmo

huntinmo Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    Fish on calm days, problem solved! :pop:

9. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    I hvae fought them from bowfishingextreme.com but they only sell minnkota shafts.
    http://www.ewebcart.com/3483/cart?o...reme.com/TrollingMtrParts/trolling-motors.htm

you have a two piece shaft. I would say that if you take it to a TM shop they will be able to set you up. I would expect it to cost at least $200. I will also say that if you went to an extra foot of shaft your mount might not be designed to handle the extra torque.

10. DADAKOTA

DADAKOTA Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Stick to calm days. You aren't going anywhere in big wind and/or waves for very long with a 46# thrust 12 volt motor. I've got an 80# thrust 24 volt troller and was glad I had it in last weeks winds.

11. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    Before a sunk another $200 into an underpowered 12 volt trolling motor I'd sell it and buy a 24 volt 70-80lb thrust motor that will actually last awhile in said conditions.

12. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Amen:eek:::eek::

13. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    That's what she said

14. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
    I'll trade you mine? I'll have to measure my shaft when I get home from work.

15. t-tomshooter

t-tomshooter Senior Member

Apr 17, 2010
    deer county
    just put a 200 lb weight up front so the boat will set lower in the water:D diy problem solved

16. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo

I am that 200 lb weight.:wave:

17. PHhunter

PHhunter MOD-ER-ATOR

Jan 22, 2007
    Woods.
    Report button

18. Ruger204

Ruger204 New Member

Feb 6, 2017
  19. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
  20. Meller

Meller Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Really I wouldn't sweat it unless the motor is breaking the top of the water like almost constantly. Fishing the rough water of LOZ mine comes up out of the water every time a big wake comes in, but there's no way I'd want a longer one when fishing the shallows, I stir up enough mud as it is.

Those tall sided boats are a biatch to hold in the wind regardless, if its blowing that hard I'd just park it.