Have You Ever Thought About Giving Up?

Discussion in 'Hunting With A Disability' started by oneshot 1, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

I wonder if you could shoot those park deer that hang out in people's yards near the burger joint in Bennett Springs SP?? :D

Private property hunt, you could hunt from your truck. :cheers:

2. Woods

Woods Cooyon

Oct 16, 2003
    Gretna Louisiana
    I hurt my back years ago and had to remember why I hunted?
    For the enjoyment of it, so until i was healed up, I hunted on days I felt I could enjoy it.
    Sometimes sleeping in at camp is just what we NEED.

3. mrtrailcam1

mrtrailcam1 New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Like others I have bad days and horrible days anymore,I use a tens unit for pain plus heavy pain meds for a back injury,I can only walk so far and sitting is the most painfull of all. After five years like this I am on a waiting list for surgery sometime in dec. Lazer Spine Institute is opening in St. Louis in dec. going to try it.
    I still hunt but it has changed how i hunt for sure.

4. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks

I walk some of the Trails in the Park. I have to keep walking every day because of chronic Blood Clots.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin can be a Pain.

5. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Yes I'm thinking go Good Days, Bad Days kick back don't worry be Happy :p

I'm also thinking on the Farm leaving my Blind up, driving most the way down, stash my Pickup out of sight.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin likes Pickup better.

6. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    About 4 years ago, I began having pain issue's in my neck & shoulders. I was afraid my hunting days were coming to an end, soon. So I started hunting hard...too hard, as a matter of fact. Not only was I no longer having fun, I was doing more damage to the pinched nerves in my neck & shoulders.

After a couple of years of hunting no longer being enjoyable, I was thinking it was time to just throw in the towel.

After letting that thought soak into my brain for awhile, I couldn't believe that I was actually thinking about quitting hunting. What I finally realized was, I just needed to make some adjustments...not only in how much I hunted, but also how I think about hunting.

When I was hunting hard (harder than I ever had), it was because I wanted a wall-hanger on my wall, before giving up hunting. I lost sight of what hunting is really all about, for me. I wasn't having fun, I wasn't experiencing quality time with friends & I wasn't mindful of nature and the great outdoors. That tunnel-vision not only nearly ruined hunting...it almost ruined me (physically, mentally & spiritually).

I finally saw the error of my ways (just in the nick of time), and made some major adjustments.

No longer is a wall-hanger a priority. If it happens, it happens...if not, oh well.

No longer do I apply for all the managed hunts I can. It's too hard on me...mainly all the traveling back & forth (like GoGOP mentioned above). I only apply for one managed hunt a season...and that's only because it's close to me. If it wasn't, then I doubt I'd even apply for any at all.

I'm focusing on managing my property, now...it ain't deer heaven, but it's mine. I didn't do much with it in the past, because of all the road-hunting & poaching issue's. I didn't want to provide better "hunting" for them...but in the process, I was also limiting myself. We're not covered up in deer, but now I can go hunting whenever I want. Just go out the front door, and I'm hunting. Much, much easier on me (and cheaper) than traveling to all those managed hunts.

Having my own property doesn't mean I get to hunt a LOT...it just means I can hunt when I'm ABLE. Hunting less than I'm used to doesn't mean I'm less happy...it means that I'm just that much happier when I do hunt. There's only one thing better, and that's sharing those times with friends & family.

GTOHunter likes this.
  7. bigboo

bigboo New Member

Oct 7, 2014
    For me, the depression & regret from not hunting outweigh the pain I endure. I have authorization to hunt from a stationary vehicle which has come in handy but I don't hunt on public land. It does get harder every year and mornings are the worst!

8. OutbackBio

OutbackBio New Member

I hope to see you back over there some day!!!!

9. OutbackBio

OutbackBio New Member

I am fortunate for what I have and the ability to be physically able to do the things that I love. If I have bad days I just think about all the wonderful people I have met over the years at the Smithville hunt. What some of you have to go through on a daily basis makes me feel like a wimp for complaining. You are true inspirations to me and I thank you for that and the friendships I have made. I look forward to seeing you all every year and if there is anything I can do to make your hunt better, please don't hesitate to ask!!!
    Good luck to you all this year and keep pushing forward:cheers:

10. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

Your having a great season Onehsot, no need to quit. 2 does with a bow is great. Keep that skinnin woman busy. :cheers:

11. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Thank you. I would like that too. :wave:

12. Omgw

Omgw New Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I have recently become disabled and am so thankful I have a hunting buddy that helps. His attitude is it ain't hunting without your friends.

13. Tracer2

Tracer2 New Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Ozark, Moutains
    Oneshot1, Yes indeed I have thought about cashing in all my chips on more than one occasion. Years ago I went in the hole (fall from above) on a construction sight. My back was broke and several other bones too. I was out for a couple of days in the hospital. My brain was becoming enlarged from hitting my head.The Dr's a few weeks later, said I would not walk again or do the things I was used to doing. No horse back (roping calves) riding, running down the hi way on the motorcycle, playing golf, riding a bike in the park, walking in the park with my wife etc. I had internal problems as well after dropping down 5 floors...:eek:

I had several operations, none really did the job of returning my mobility like it once was etc. The pain was sometimes 24/7, now comes the "pills" from the various doctors. I took those for 4 years and develop problems with my stomach and bowels. I was almost like a ZOMBIE, felt no pain but it would come back 4 to 6 hours later and then more pills. I guess you got the picture!

Now I was never a religious person in the past but a friend of mine, name of Bill Pearl told me to dump those 11 types of medication down the toilet and get a bible and start reading it. NO there were no miracles at first but as time went on I could do more and more everyday. I can say that reading that book, kept me from blowing my brains to heaven and back and made me realize that I have more to live for, that being our kids and my wife.

Jesus Christ helps all those who knock on his door. One must also be patient, The Almight Lord works on his time frame not ours. It won't happen over night however he will never leave you in the dark or alone. I am now a great believer in the power of prayer!:eek::

14. 10er

10er New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Fairlane Farm
    I've had to change my hunting style since my accident 4 years ago. I still get out, and will do so more in the future. What has helped me deal with it is staying involved as much as I can.

Every camp needs a chief cook and bottle washer and it's highly appreciated by your fellow hunters.

Keep a good aerial map on hand so you can keep up where everyone is.

I get enjoyment out of everyone else's success, especially the young people.

Because of your hunting experience you will always be the sounding board for anyone needing advice.

You'll be in camp so if you feel like hunting you're ready to go!

I know chronic pain makes it difficult to enjoy a lot of things but staying involved might help keep your mind off it, even for a little while.

Keep up the good fight!

15. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Wow did this Thread couple years ago. My Doctor has me Working out in the Gym. Hurts like all get out but not as bad as it did.

Got back to where I'm going just have to watch how much I go. As of now still go hunting and fishing just have to watch it.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin runs circles around him.

16. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

Seeing this thread makes me think of all the lost time. " pilled up " is something I am finally over, I hope.

Went off ALL prescription meds last Winter. Have been off ALL otc meds since this summer began.

Here's hope to getting back outdoors this fall!

Great post oneshot!

DougC and radioactive like this.
  17. radioactive

radioactive Active Member

Jan 25, 2012

Glad you are off the meds and it's good to see you back on the forum. I feared you had went back to SNA :wave1:

18. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Well dang it back to square one. Doctor is wanting to do an MRI, has increased my Pain Medication. Like he said he has no idea what to do until I have an MRI.

Right now I can barely walk, can't drive.

I have exemption to hunt from a Vehicle. Couple problems I can't use it on Public Land, can't get in my Pickup and can't drive because of my Medication..

Told my wife if I got a Boat I could get pretty close to some areas up by Truman Lake I could stay at the Cabin.

She says well you still have to get from the Boat to where you want to go. At this time the way the Cabin is you can't get in and out of the Cabin.

Think well I can at least fish. Wrong! I have to just fish with one Rod setting on my Lap, get fish up, take Hook out and get Stringer up and get fish on it.

:mad: Well not working! Thought maybe our Son. He is busy enough working on our House and dealing with his life.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin can carry :confused: Scratch that the Big Grin is staying at the House.

19. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I'm taking a break...
    (NOT giving up...there's a difference)

I've had some major life-change's in the past couple of years, and some health issue's for the past 6 months.

I'm tired...

20. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    You hang in there mr chairman :wave1::tup:

Chairman likes this.