Have You Ever Thought About Giving Up?

Discussion in 'Hunting With A Disability' started by oneshot 1, Sep 20, 2014.

1. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    I know several here are busy trying to figure out how to get in the Deer woods. But have any of you Guys went through dealing with pain to the point it is not fun.

I basically missed all last season because of being operated on. We still got plenty of Deer meat which we enjoy.

I have Deer hunted many years and have killed many Deer. And really enjoyed it. I could set in a Blizzard for hours, Camp for months at a time, I mean really Camp in a Tent sleeping on the ground.

This year I have invested Hundreds of $$$$ just for Deer Season, including a New Rifle. Like I told my wife I feel obligated to continue to hunt.

Spent this last weekend at my Sons Farm, stayed in an Old Chicken House we fixed up, it is really nice considering what I've had in the past. Yesterday I was hurting, went to Bed had to get up in middle of the night, had Leg Cramp in my Bad Leg, all the way up in my Hip. It was still hurting very Bad this morning. I pilled up once I got home. I'm afraid this is going to be a continuing thing, making Deer and Turkey hunting just not fun anymore.

I still enjoy setting on the river bank fishing and Squirrel hunting.

My wife is telling me that if its not fun do what I enjoy.

Thoughts??

oneshot

:D The Big Grin is a Rabbit Dog.

2. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

Sorry to hear that you cannot deer and turkey hunt any more.

Stick to skwirls and fishing if that doesn't bother you as much. :cheers:

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Sounds to me like you need to sit down and start writing a book about your past hunts and experiences (but leave out stuff about your exciting love adventures). Could be a best seller. :2thumbsup:

I know I'd enjoy reading it as many here would also. I bet reliving your past with us will bring a smile to your face.

4. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    Hope you get to feeling better!!!

5. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    What has helped me with my issues is trying to stay as active as I can throughout the year. It's hard not to give in on the bad days. It's also hard excepting that you/me have limitations. If you can stay active during the summer it really pays off for me going into hunting season.

6. mohunter09

mohunter09 New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I have seen you talk about this for a few years now and questioning whether you should continue to endure the pain . I would listen to your doctor and your family . If the pain is worth the trouble to hunt and you're safe being alone in the woods I would do it. But, if hunting alone could mean you not being here any more I would retire from it and be grateful for many great years you've had hunting .

7. Johnny

Johnny Crossbows!!!!

Sep 30, 2010
    Linn Co.
    I've been close a time or 2 but can't seem to give up . Last year was as close as I ever came to just calling it quits but with a lot of good help , I have stuck with it .

You might try finding someone to hunt with , knowing you have someone right there that can help could help your desire to be there .

8. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

Yes, but it's more about the drive than the hunt. That's the main reason I haven't gone to Smithville the last couple years; the driving hurts so bad that I no longer care about hunting by the time I get there. I can still sit in a blind, but getting to it is what's brutal for me.

9. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Get a ln exemption to hunt from a vehicle. You may not use it, but if you do you will have it

GTOHunter likes this.
  10. radioactive

radioactive Active Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Every time I start to worry about my disability and my limitations, I look around me and see others who are a H*lluva lot worse off than I am and never complain! I find strength in that rather than feeling sorry for myself.

As Hawk mentioned, get a vehicle exemption and keep after it!

11. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    It would be listed as Fiction even though very True.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin would be in it.

12. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    I stay active Yard Work, Garden, taking care of my Animals, House Repairs, Hunting and Fishing.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin is with him.

13. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    My wife would go to Camp but not out in the woods. I have several say they would go but after it becomes too boring so they quit.

oneshot

:D He don't like Big Grin barking at Deer.

14. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Yes we was coming back from Caney Mountain two years ago. Stopped at a station, I found I couldn't stand or walk and I was the one doing the driving :eek:

oneshot

:D :rolleyes:

15. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Got one but it requires Private Land which I have very little.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin could go then, she likes Pickup rides.

16. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Active Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Medical marajiwana

17. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Year ago I tried but yes it helps but mix it with my other Medication it is a bit much and sure don't mix it with hunting.

I actually had a Doctor tell me to drink because of the pain but I started having other medical problems to where I can no longer drink.

oneshot

:D

18. Johnny

Johnny Crossbows!!!!

Sep 30, 2010
    Linn Co.

Dang you got it bad . I ain't allowed to have pain meds due to other medical problems but can have a couple 3 beers or so ........ ain't about to try the wacky weed :D

19. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Have you tried walking? I started out just walking telephone pole to telephone pole then worked my way up from there. Sometimes you don't get the cardiovascular workout you need through normal chore activities. Walking will increase your wind and get blood flowing to areas that your body has forgot about! Just try to keep moving......

20. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks

Oh the wacky weed I hadn't really had any in 30 years, some kids I was Camping with had some and shared. It was interesting.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin thinks oneshot is already too funny.