Growing Chinese Chestnuts in Containers

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by wbpdeer, Aug 6, 2016.

1. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Active Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    That's too bad. Maybe the new owners will be open to you collecting still. They may want those prickly burs out of their yard. Maybe you can clean up a batch for them to roast every year as payment...

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    well maybe it will work out for ya wayne, I'd go visit the new owners as soon as ya can and just let em know what all you have been doin to get the chestnuts back growin across the country.......:wave:

3. Tough to hear, Wayne, but certainly not something that can't be overcome. As noted, a visit to whomever the new landowner may end up being might erase all of the concern. Best of luck, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

4. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Good luck Wayne.

5. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
  6. Gamegetter

Jan 21, 2004
    So my seeds have been sitting in the fridge after a one day soaking in late Oct. Eventually I want them planted at my farm and I expect I will use 5' tree tubes to protect them and make sure I know where they are and how they are doing. So now my question is, should I try direct seeding soon at my house before long, with perhaps a two foot tube, keep an eye on them and then attempt to dig out and replant at the farm later with a 5' tube?

The way I see it, the advantages of trying to start them at the house, then dig up and replant later would be to keep a better eye on them and give a little water once a week if it hasn't rained any. If I direct seed at my farm, I don't get there every week and sometimes it is 3 weeks or longer in between visits. However, if direct seeding at the farm, I would not have to replant.

7. truehunter

truehunter Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Fall is best time to plant trees and not have to water . Late Oct they will be going dormant and won't need water . Transplant might be best for you game getter

8. truehunter

truehunter Member

Dec 30, 2015
    What chemical is available for use against weevil. I found an old orchard but Alot of the nuts had the worm . I guess you spray the ground ??

9. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Active Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Chestnuts develop a large tap root initially. Many tree species that grow more taproot than fibrous roots are hard to dig and transplant. I won't say I've tried, or know specifically about success rate, but I've always planted them in their final location for that reason.

I also wait for the nut to sprout a radicle (root) before planting. That way, I know for sure it is viable, and don't waste a spot and tube on one that won't grow. They will eventually sprout in cold storage, but will pop quicker if brought out to warmer temps and kept damp. That's assuming they've had a long enough cold spell...

10. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    What gurg said. wait for it to sprout before planting in final location. Then you MUST do an excellent job of protecting it. In the past I used 10" tall tubes of aluminum flashing sunk 2-3" deep around the nut. Today i would try just sinking the 5' tube several inches into the ground around the nut.

I would not worry about having to water it in the spring. The nut will develop a large tap root going deep before you see anything above ground.

11. Gamegetter

Jan 21, 2004
    So no concerns with going from a nut with tap root direct seeding into ground of permanent location with a 5' tube sunk into the ground about 6 inches?

12. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Active Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Good plan, not sure you need to sink tube 6". Possible issue with lack of moisture? You would be limiting water for 6" deep, only water that falls down tube would get inside that 6" zone. May be or may not be a problem... Likely the main issue would be drying out in first few weeks before root grows out 6+". I'd think 3" should be adequate to protect from most rodents, and minimize the artificial drought risk. I only do 1-2" with the tube, but have seen a few nuts disappear too...

13. wbpdeer

wbpdeer Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Portland, TN
    Not 6 Inches Because ...

Regarding the tree tube and the depth, you want 2 or 3 inches in the soil. I stick that chestnut 1 inch below the top of ground.

At some point, you will take the tree tube up to hand prune any competition that grows inside and outside the tube. With 6 inches of soil it is hard to prevent the chestnut and soil coming up with the tree tube.

One advice on the moisture issue, put just about 1 inch of peat moss on top of the ground above the chestnut in the tree tube. This will help with the moisture retention. You can wet the peat moss before you put it in place.

Trust in your direct seedling - especially if your chestnut has a radicle showing before you direct seed. You want a location that get fun sun and will not have standing water if you get a rain of 1.5 to 2.0 inches.

Regarding pulling a tree tube to remove competition, I use broom handle to work the soil loss around the outside of the tube and inside the tube.

Good luck with your chestnuts. :)

Wayne

14. Gamegetter

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks for replies. I was worried that not enough sun would get down that far, but sounds like I will be ok if planted in open area.

15. wbpdeer

wbpdeer Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Portland, TN
    Soil Temperature

The sun's energy is important. Air temperatures play a part too.

I know when the soil warms up the direct seeded chestnuts will get rolling and you can expect to see some top growth.

Prior to the top growth, the root is started in the ground.

I like planting the chestnut 1 inch deep to help reduce the smell for the nose of critters that will rob us.

If the place has sunlight - things will come together. If it is extremely dry, put enough water down the tree tubes to leave a 1/4 to 1/2 of water in the bottom of the tube.

That will help keep the chestnut moist as it gets going.

I water in a chestnut when it is direct seeded. I think direct seeded chestnuts certainly have an advantage if the tap root get established before a hot summer. Spring time temps and rainfall can influence how that plays out.

Good luck.

Wayne

16. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Active Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I pulled my chestnut drawer out of the fridge on Tuesday to start the germination process. There had been 15-20 discarded over the winter months due to mold growing, but that's normal for me. I noticed a couple weeks ago that the damp moss had frozen in the drawer, so I raised the temp a little in the fridge to let them thaw. I set the drawer on my kitchen table at the cabin, which gets some morning sun. I checked them today (Friday) on a lark, as it usually takes a few weeks of warmer temps to sprout. I pulled out 75 nuts that were sprouting the radicle already, with only 30 that showed no sign of germination. I put the 75 in a bag and returned to the fridge to slow them down until I get materials ready for potting. Hope to use the last couple RM trays I have left this weekend, and will borrow a few trays from FatDan, who isn't using them this year. Thanks a bunch, Dan-o!

I'll take some pics this weekend as I work them up. They will be posted in my old thread I tracked my methods and success in previously so I can keep all my info together in one place...

17. truehunter

truehunter Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Wbpdeer , what size nut wizard do you use th harvest medium or large ?

18. wbpdeer

wbpdeer Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Portland, TN
    Size for Chestnuts

I was given mine so I don't have a recollection of purchase. The website that I always looked at - they detail the size and what it is appropriate to collect.

Mine sure works exactly as intended for chestnuts. No more walking like Frankenstein with the stiff legs and sore back.

Sorry I have been occupied with other things and don't respond in a timely manner.

Wayne

19. wbpdeer

wbpdeer Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Portland, TN
    Next Week - Moving Seedlings out of 18s

This year I got started two weeks later in January that normal. Going to have a wet weekend in middle TN so next week I will start moving seedlings out of the 18s and to large containers or their final location.

This year I have added "Swamp White Oak" and "Bur" to my inventory. Both of them great extremely well like the chestnut. I am excited to get them on the farm at multiple locations.

The next two generations will get the benefit of watching them mature and positively impact their hunting plans.

Got an email from Missouri Whitetails checking up on me. Well I am still kicking around. Thanks for the check up.

Hope everyone that turkey hunts is stacking them up. My son is one bird away from a TN limit and a KY limit. He is quite good at it. Me I have not been.

Wayne

20. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Get out there and have some fun. I got out this morning. Birds aren't gobbling and I'm still having a lot more fun than I do at work. :D