Glyphosate question

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by dw84, Aug 9, 2017.

1. fl3157

fl3157 Senior Member

Oct 12, 2010
    N.E. Missouri
    No residual with remedy, but I've always used it for brush/woody plant control?

2 4 D would be best for broadleaf if the Gly is not effective

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    2,4-D will have a 3-4 week plantback period.

3. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Active Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    2-4D has a residual, but will smoke marestail.

4. SwiftKill

SwiftKill Member

Feb 24, 2014
    NW
    Thanks. I hate to buy remedy when I have 2, 4 D on hand. Marestail is only 4" to 6' tall now. Between Marestail and Wild Carrot I cant win. I might just spray the 2, 4 D and not plant till September.

5. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Active Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Grasses seem pretty easy to kill, so I target 3-4%. If going after harder to kill stuff, or have some woody stuff (small trees/brush), I typically go with 5%.

To figure out # oz to add to sprayer:

(128 oz in a gallon) x (percent you are mixing to) x (# gal your sprayer holds) = (# oz gly to add to sprayer)

So, for a 3% solution in a 4 gallon sprayer...
    128 x .03 x 4 = 15.36 oz gly

When spraying, always spray to wet the leaves. Any that drips off is excess/wasted. A fine mist coats best, but also drifts in the wind. Larger droplets spray farther and move less in the breeze, but don't coat as well. Adjust the nozzle to give the finest spray for given wind condition and distance you need to cover.

dw84 likes this.
  6. SwiftKill

SwiftKill Member

Feb 24, 2014
    NW
    I usually run 2-3 oz per gallon and have never had a problem until this year. I think the lack of rain to help with growth is part of the problem. Dry, dry here.

7. dw84

dw84 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lincoln co.
    This is a great help , Thanks !

8. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Active Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Them figures are for 41% Gly but watch out there are different strengths. I have seen it as weak as 24%.

I run 5 to 6 ounces of 41% gly to a gallon of water.

gurgalunas likes this.
  9. truehunter

truehunter Member

Dec 30, 2015
    For normal weeds I use 2 ounces per gallon on my plots . My 16 gallon sprayer does half an acre roughly. I have done one ounce per gallon if I have to do a second round on tough fescue.

10. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    lower percentages work much better in a broadcast spraying application than in a spot spraying situation, especially handheld sprayers