First time sunflower success

Discussion in 'Game Birds' started by dw84, Aug 8, 2017.

1. dw84

dw84 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lincoln co.
    20170801_073206.jpg 20170803_071707.jpg
    20170801_073249_HDR.jpg
    Just got this picture posting some what figured out:banana:. This will be our first attempt at sunflowers and dove hunting in general. Also it's our first food plot for wildlife on our new place. Thanks to all on this sight that helped in answering questions that I had back before planting!! Couldn't have got it done without your all's help. We also planted millet around the outside edges. We have total of two plots identical , about 2 1/2 to 3 acres each. We were a little late getting it in do to closing dates but I think we'll have some awsome hunting a couple weeks into the season. Thanks again !

Skduckhunt, Dafish, Sully and 5 others like this.
  2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I think opening weekend will surprise you. They look good.

dw84 likes this.

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Are you letting them stand as is or are you brush hogging a strip or more to attract the doves?

dw84 likes this.
  4. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Looks great. Congrats! Quail will find them and love them too.

dw84 likes this.
  5. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Sunflowers look good. What was your weed control program and when did you plant?

That millet is going to be an added bonus also.

dw84 likes this.
  6. Clucker

Clucker Active Member

You will have every tweety bird in the county also.

Skduckhunt and dw84 like this.
  7. Farmball35

Farmball35 Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Lincoln County,MO
    Looks good! There are plenty doves to go around! I have a few patches on my farm in that vicinity if I am thinking of the right place... was dynamite in that area when we started planting them 10 years ago but since then sunflower plots have been popping up everywhere but we still have some good hunts! When you shoot and miss send them my way! :wave1:

dw84 likes this.
  8. dw84

dw84 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lincoln co.
    Figuring on brush hogging a few strips. But I was always under the impression that you couldn't do that for a certain period of time before you hunt it. But if I understood right in another thread that you can mow them anytime you want. Is that correct?

9. dw84

dw84 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lincoln co.
    I don't remember the exact date but I know we were about 2 weeks later then what we should have been. Sprayed with Broad Axe XC after we planted and before they came up. Spray worked awsome but the sprayer we used didn't work so well and in the other patch you can see where the spayer didn't work. A new sprayer is definitely on the need to buy list. We planted two varieties of millet , White proso millet and German R millet.

rat likes this.
  10. dw84

dw84 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lincoln co.
    Where are you located ? If your close we probably know each other. I guarantee you we will do some missing lol !

11. Clucker

Clucker Active Member

Yes

dw84 likes this.
  12. dw84

dw84 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lincoln co.
    Where are you located ? If your close we probably know each other. I guarantee you we will do some missing lol !

13. Clucker

Clucker Active Member

Bang Bang Bang you aint got a thing if you aint got that swing.

dw84 likes this.
  14. SGH31

SGH31 Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Lincoln County
    Fields look good. :kewl:

dw84 likes this.
  15. Farmball35

Farmball35 Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Lincoln County,MO
    i believe south of you off hwy TT

16. dw84

dw84 Junior Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lincoln co.
    Yep we're on the hwy.E side of Norton rd.

Farmball35 likes this.