Ct 2017

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by Cedar Thicket, Feb 20, 2017.

1. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    :eek:::eek:::eek::

2. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Colorado backdoor for elk is up. Got me a 500 code.... Looks like Ill be heading out with blackpowder this year. Stoked! :eek::

3. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Active Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I heard about someone else backdooring CO yesterday.
    Congrats man.

4. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    I thought 400 codes were the good of ones??.... maybe there are 2?

Edit... just looked it up, youre right. Congrats man!

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  5. Cedar Thicket

You?

:cheers:

Your accidental attempt to make my heart stop failed, as I was fairly confident. lol

Thanks!

6. HarvDog

HarvDog Bro Staff

Mar 14, 2010
    East Side
    Kill a bign CT!

I need to go back and look for a 400s, I had 500 code and figured I drew since my points were zeroed out. Now I read that everyone's points are zeroed out at the time of draw, so that means nothing. 400s or Point/Archery don't matter to me.
    I smell them already

7. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Active Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Nope, not me. I'm going to WY canteloping.

8. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Active Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    I have to admit I'm jealous. This will be my first year in about 15 I'm not planning to head west and chase wapiti. As time gets closer to August I am wishing I was but oh well it will make next year even more special. We went through Ouray and Durango one year heading to go elk hunting. About burnt the breaks off a brand new truck on those hills and curves. Still remember seeing all that beautiful scenery and the smell of brakes. Lol

9. Cedar Thicket

Skipping a year huh, that sucks. You're right, next year you'll be ready for sure!!

Yea its pretty crazy crazy terrain round there. Definitely better elk hunting and more physically forgiving places to go for sure. But we know the mountains around there pretty well, and nobody in our group can take a scouting trip out west beforehand. And we don't want to waste a few days scouting for a new spot when we could be hunting either. Talked about it but it just hasn't happened, so back to some deep dark steeep timber hunting for us again.

I figure it'd be better to shingle a few roofs beforehand to get into shape rather than cardio...... :hysterical:

10. Cedar Thicket

Group hunt? Good luck wings!

11. Cedar Thicket

Im gunna give it a go for sure man.

So that mean you are going archery no matter what?

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Speaking of elk, I saw this guy give a seminar at the P&Y convention few weeks back. He is an awesome caller and his seminar was chock full of really good advice. Give it a look.. he has a lot of stuff on youtube.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0GLwTya44c[/ame]

13. HarvDog

HarvDog Bro Staff

Mar 14, 2010
    East Side
    581 code

14. Cedar Thicket

Man, that started out deep mentally. ha

Thanks for posting it. Pretty informative, and all seems logical enough. Also seems like I may have to be working on my elk calling skills.

After seeing and hearing that bull in the video its gunna be a long 3 months wait. :D

15. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    His seminar was amazing. He really has a way of explaining all elk vocalizations, even subtle differences.
    He makes it all sound logical.
    I think he has a couple of calling titles also.
    Being in a small room and hearing him bugle was amazing, a little uncomfortable.

16. iccyman001

iccyman001 Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Congrats on the elk tag!!!

17. Cedar Thicket

:2thumbsup: thanks! I hope I can put it to use.

18. Cedar Thicket

Nice dude! Good luck.

Better start that mountain motivation thread

19. Cedar Thicket

Last time at the farm was with the entire family. Kids helped plant the pear trees we grew (which need rain by the way) and did all kinds of other ‘farm’ type stuff. Tried to squeeze it all in for them. Fish, swim, atvs, bonfire, shooting, catching, brush hogged, fireflies. Great lil’ family weekend.

Beans went in last tuesday. Nipped the weeds in the clover plots. Started prepping the site for the lake deck and quickly put three cams out before we left.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      130.4 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      73 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      129 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      106.9 KB
      Views:
  20. Cedar Thicket

Had a few free hours today so I built a pedestal for last years buck. Old barn metal and weathered oak. I still have some wall space but just wanted something different. I think it looks cool.

Just anxious and waiting on the mount now. :)

[​IMG][​IMG]