Featured Colorado Elk

Discussion in 'Out of State Hunts, Stories & Pics' started by sandals, Aug 5, 2017.

1. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Have never been hunting in Colorado. My buddy pulled an elk tag for the first week of rifle season and he can hun in zones 71, 72, 73, and 711.

He asked me to come along and I am more than happy to help any way I can.

We've got maps of all 4 zones, a few spots that look good from internet scouting, and all of the gear ( I think) we could need for a 10 day trip.

I am going out next week and going to hike a couple of the spots that interested us. As I've never hunted elk before anything in particular I should be looking for?

What about bears/coyotes. From what I've read there are over the counter tags on a limited basis. As we are going out the first day of the season do you think there will be any available?

I'm sure there are alot of other answers for questions I wouldn't think of asking...

Anyone know someone in southwest colorado that sells or leases alpacas?

2. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    sells or leases alpacas?, your gonna need them:), been years since i hunted down there. Horses would be nice or mules if your gonna get in the really , really steep stuff. I think that was the only time I ever gave up on trying to get to a spot I glassed for three days and was seeing lots of elk there.
    A buddy and I dropped off went downhill for four hours and went up for six and never made it, I would guess we were still another three from making it to that spot. if we would have killed one we would have to ate it there.:D lots of elk down there and your gonna see bears its some pretty countrybut man is it rough. rent some horses they will be worth every dollar.:peep:

3. Rojo

Rojo Member

Jul 27, 2014
    A company by the name of Sombrero Ranches rents horses through out Colorado. I worked for them for 9 years back in the 90's and highly recommend them. That being said if you are not familiar with horses, it's hard to learn in short order.

4. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    I'm more of an alpaca guy

5. PHhunter

PHhunter MOD-ER-ATOR

Jan 22, 2007
    Woods.
    This why I am going to breed my own. Never know when an opportunity like this will arise. Alpacas for life.

6. Rojo

Rojo Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Don't know much about Alpacas. But I'll stay with horses. Been proven to me, several time. Came out with a lot of elk and deer.

7. Rojo

Rojo Member

Jul 27, 2014
    I know if you take horses from here to that high altitude they need a little time to acclimate. Do alpacas?

8. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    yeah never been around them much always rented horses down there, wifes uncle had a couple for a couple years here for pets.

looks like they rent pretty cheap 40 a day but you got to rent two.
    http://www.rent-a-llama.com/browse.php

9. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Yeah and if you get cold you can shave one and make a coat. Or a blanket. Try that with a stupid horse.

Maddux, coyotehunter and venatic like this.
  10. Rojo

Rojo Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Archer, just get on the horse and catch a long trot to warmer weather. Guaranteed to warm you up.

archer66 likes this.
  11. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    I think that's not too far from Dolores and Durango. Many years ago I roamed all over that country on a mule. I lived in New Mexico near the Colorado border. There are some steep mountainsides and pulling an elk out of them can be a chore. We called it "frying pan country". If you killed one just get out the frying pan and eat it there instead of hauling it out.

We found lots of places we could hunt that weren't as tough. Check out the country west of Dolores, assuming that's in your unit. Some of it's pretty good. Expect company from others, mostly Texans, they hit the area hard.

If Durango is in the unit, some of that country is real steep and rough.

There are some sporting goods stores in Dolores and Cortez. Call them and see if they know someone who would pack you in and out. Unless you've ridden horses a lot, I'd use a packer. Horses are accidents waiting to happen. Just learned of a guy in Nevada, where I am now, who had ridden all his life and he got bucked off and broke his hip. Laid on the mountain for nearly a day before he was found.

You're going to see some beautiful country. Have fun.

12. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Active Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    Depending on where your going there it is rough country . Better start getting in shape like yesterday of your going a foot. What little I know of rented horses someone usually ends up hurt. That's why I grow my own mules.

13. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    Have seen these guys ,Sombrero Ranches,, used several times where we use to elk hunt.

They even fit the size of the guy to the size of the horse

14. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    Yeah I think we went through some outfitter circle k comes to mind. He had some good horses most years. He would size yah to the horse, sometime that's a bad thing, Mike was a pretty good size guy great for you when you needed plenty of muscle. But bad when it came to for horse sizing we would generally have to find a boulder and get Mike to climb on it to get on his horse
    Of course wouldn't be a problem with Archer, could always get a shedland pony and he would be just fine:D

15. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008

Screw that. I'll walk.

16. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I have a friend that has been every year for 20+ years, flattops area, they trailer mules and need them.

17. sticknmofish

sticknmofish Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Deep South MO
    Have my own also just cant get anyone interested in going back out there, they all afraid of leaving the state.
    Thinking maybe going with just the boy and me next year.
    I would not go back without a mule or horse though.

Muleskinner likes this.
  18. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    You don't. You also don't have to pack in water or food for them either.

19. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Active Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    I'm not questioning your choice but I thought alpacas could only pack like 10-20 pounds if that.
    I met some hunters that had lamas they said their lamas would pack 40. And average elk quarter bone in is around 80 lbs.
    Oh and my mules don't like lamas either .lol

20. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Active Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    Having a good pair of hiking boots is a must. Blistered or sore feet can ruin or end a hunt quick. I keep an extra pair of socks in my pack and change mid day. I also wear thin boot liner socks under my regular socks to prevent blisters. As far as hunting elk look for poop to tell you the story if elk are hanging out in an area. If its green and fresh elk are in the area. If its dark, dry and hard it might be a month old and that elk is long gone. Also try to learn how to smell elk when you are scouting. They stink and their smell can give them, their beds, their wallows and just places they like to hang out away. As far as calls I don't use anything but cow calls and never use many of them. Calling only works for me to bring in other hunters or educate an elk of your position so it can go downwind of you first before coming in. Calling in a hunter with elk fever can get scary real quick. Good luck but I'm warning you this trip might start an addiction that will last you a lifetime. This is my first year that I haven't planned on elk hunting in over 12 years. So I'm gonna need pictures and stories to help feed my addiction.