Cleaning Bluegill?

Discussion in 'Pan Fish' started by oneshot 1, Feb 5, 2017.

1. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Active Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    If it aint big enough to fillet, then it goes back in to the drink to get bigger. I want to be able to grab a piece of fish and throw it in my mouth, not pick at it.

2. Martin

Martin Barn Raiser

Feb 4, 2017
    Seymour MO
    Hard to beat cold water bluegill, maybe the best fish to eat. I rarely fillet them

3. Martin

Martin Barn Raiser

Feb 4, 2017
    Seymour MO
    Do you just score along the top and pull off the skin, scales and all? Couldn't take much more time than scaling them.

4. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Active Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    That's why I go after crappie. Easier to fillet them when they are 10-13".

5. DCSarchette

DCSarchette New Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    I have/do both. In the "day" we used to take all the small ones, especially if we had to sceine (sp) a pond, we would scale, gut, and head the small ones and pickle can them in quart jars. They were great that way and I haven't had them for years.

6. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    My favorite fish is yellow suckers,my buddy has a scoring machine that does a great job. Some filets cook up like curly fries

7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

My dad always filleted bluegill, crappie and bass. He did so after he had us boys scale them. He thought the skin added something to the flavor.

8. MOFish20

MOFish20 Senior Member

Oct 12, 2010
    I saw this on one of the shows I dvr (Midwest Outdoors maybe?) They were ice fishing for gills and had a big pile of them. Just cut the one side off (leaving rib bones in and skin on outside) and this unit did the rest of the dirty work.
    They had two guys working, one cutting the 1/2 of the fish off and the other guy removing the rib bones and skin and they were FLYING thru the meat. I dont clean enough to make it worth purchasing (It's around $150) but I was kind of amazed. Would be curious to try one out if I ever had the chance.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vko8iIqS3jw[/ame]

https://www.amazon.com/SKINZIT-Electric-Skinner-7-45-Inch-Black/dp/B00N0F5X72

9. crappiehunter18

crappiehunter18 Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Looks like the dum8est thing I've ever seen. Filet the fish once,instead of just finishing the first time, need another gizmo to finish the job? Sure he's making a million $.

10. bowbender

bowbender Active Member

Yes pretty much like you say.

When I was younger I was bout as fast as most could scale.

Have done 40 in 30 minutes several times.

Caught another 30 today, took 35 minutes.

11. SNIDER

SNIDER Active Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Puxico, Mo.
    We used to go to the Old Water Resevour near Bowling Green Mo when I was still in St Louis Use Crickets and the Bobber would never stop popping up and Down, Fill a Basket in No Time at all.

12. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    Ive got one... I'll sell it to you for $50.

Thing is worthless.

Good electric knife is faster

13. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I just run mine through my Bass-o-Matic. Quick and easy protein shake. :D

14. Clucker

Clucker Well-Known Member

I like them both ways, just had filet gills Sunday.