Big blade find today

Discussion in 'Artifacts, Knappings & Other Treasures' started by tkazzz, Mar 13, 2017.

1. tkazzz

tkazzz Member

It's been slow, we need a good rain. Pulled this big blade out of a creek today with the boy and the heat treated blade 2 weeks ago off the river bluff. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    Awesome

3. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Nice finds

4. tkazzz

tkazzz Member

That thur be sum the purdist heat treated worked flint I have found.

5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Sort of green to this topic but how do you know when a find is heat treated?
    ........and what is meant by being heat treated?

6. BrewMo

BrewMo Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Jeff Co.
    Nice finds and what's smileDo you have a picture of the other side of the broken piece?

7. tkazzz

tkazzz Member

Neither are broken. I just took pics of the better sides

8. BrewMo

BrewMo Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Jeff Co.
    My bad, the cooked piece appeared to be broken on the right side. The flaking is interesting and I was just trying to get a better idea of what they were doing with it.

9. tkazzz

tkazzz Member

It is a unique blade. I found it about 30 yards from the river on a little flat that Sat just above a creek that emptied in the river. The edge is near razor sharp. Considering placement and size/shape of the edge I assume it would have been used to clean fish.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nice finds!

11. BrewMo

BrewMo Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Jeff Co.
    Thanks for sharing those, The other side looks to have some pressure flaking.interesting piece , thanks you tkazzz, I'm still learning and this stiff helps

12. MOFish20

MOFish20 Senior Member

Oct 12, 2010
    I could be wrong but my neighbor told me the pink ones are heat treated, if I am not mistaken, when we found some chert and busted up pieces around the neighborhood. I believe heating made/makes it chip easier.