Alpaca

Discussion in 'Just Good Food' started by sandals, May 11, 2017.

1. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    Friend of mine raises alpaca to pack his gear in/out.

One broke its leg and I got a few roasts. Anyone ever eaten it before? Any cooking tips?

2. wiser1

wiser1 Trash Picker

Apr 15, 2013
    Jefferson county
    Pack in and out of where ? I think we have another "Oneshot" in the making .....:)

3. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon

Pretty much anywhere. The guy chases elk in Colorado for weeks at a time. If you didn't have a 4wheeler I bet it could pack out a white tail no problem

4. trapperBR549

trapperBR549 New Member

May 17, 2007
    mo
    Never had one but I'd cook it just like llama. :cheers:

5. hesseu

hesseu Active Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Can you imagine the look on someones face when they see an alpaca up in the mountains? "Hey Joe, look at that deformed elk...musta been an inbred...hurry, shoot em!"

6. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon

I would be more surprised if I saw a horse

7. Satch

Satch Senior Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Central MO
    Cook them the same as spotted owl or bald eagle.

8. jawesome357

jawesome357 The Instigator

Oct 31, 2013
    The only OC
    Here is a crock pot recipe I found that looks pretty good. When I haven't tried something before I always like doing crock-pot meals.

(1) alpaca shoulder 3-4lbs
    (1) packet Hidden Valley ranch dressing
    (1) packet Italian dressing
    (1) packet brown gravy mix
    (1) cup of cold water
    Potatoes, baby carrots, sweet onion

Slice up the onion first and make a bed out of it on the bottom of the crockpot. Mix up all the dry seasoning and rub a small amount all over a fork stabbed roast, place on the onions and add in potatoes and carrots. Mix the rest of the seasoning with the water and pour the mixture over everything. Set the crockpot on low and let her cook for 8-9hrs.

Ending result is a very lean roast that you can pull apart with a fork onto a serving platter. After removing all the roast and vegetables I mixed up 2 heaping tablespoons of flour in about 1/3 cup cold water and added it to the juices in the pot to thicken it up.

9. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Active Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    I ran across an alpaca or lama last fall in a Colorado elk camp. Odd looking creature for sure. After helping pack out dozens of elk over the years I don't blame anyone for bringing help no matter how ugly it looks. :D

10. DougC

DougC Active Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Independence
    Or horse

11. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

If it smells like a goat ,,,,, cook it like a goat.

12. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Let us know how it turns out, never had it.

13. DoubleLiver

DoubleLiver Gentry County, NE KS

Aug 20, 2015
    Dakota County, MN
    I have trouble believing an Alpaca would be cheaper than a 4 wheeler.

Good Humor coming.....walking with the live in girlfriend at the MN state fair and we are in the livestock area. She says "Hey look Alpacas. We should get an Alpaca!" Without a second of hesitation my response was "you can just Alpaca your $hit and move out." Even she laughed at that one.

14. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    I think I'd go with the alpaca over the 4wheeler, they can travel further, quieter, and haul more gear.

15. timberdoodle

timberdoodle Senior Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Stanton mo
    And I've never seen a good recipe for cookin up a Yamaha Grizzly :)

16. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    some places in the mountains, (like wilderness areas) you cannot have anything with wheels on it, including a game cart. Alpaca's do not spook as much as horses and can carry a big load.

17. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Active Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    They can't carry half an elk . I ran into a pair out there a few years ago . My mules did not like them . I think the guy said 80 lbs is what the could pack . That's only one elk 1/4. My mule can carry two quarters and a head.

18. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    No they can't... I'd imagine most guys hunting with them would bring a team of 3-4, maybe even 5 alpacas. I'd imagine each could pack out 100 pounds. They can eat anything including pineneedles and cones and can go without water for 4-5 days.

19. TATER

TATER New Member

Steve Rinella's brother from the show Meateater (and books which are good by the way) uses alpacas. They seem to think they work very well as service animals.

20. sandals

sandals Quack

Nov 13, 2014
    bourbon
    This guy uses goats!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuFf4_-5lSs[/ame]