80 pound draw/arrow spine

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by trailblazer75, Apr 16, 2017.

1. trailblazer75

trailblazer75 Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Mailman, the idea for me is a bow that I can hunt anything with. I haven't ever hunted anything bigger than a whitetail, I just got a good deal on the limbs and look at it as a way to equip the bow I've got with the ability to take most anything out there.

2. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Got it......kinda like me wanting to buy a one ton dually pickup....the power is there if I ever need it.:eek::

3. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Active Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    There used to be a software called Pinwheel On Target 2 or something named very similar. Not sure if it's still offered but could be downloaded for free years ago. It uses the different types of bow cams, arrow length, arrow spine to make the recommendation. Asking for your arrow suggestion on ArcheryTalk forum would be another great option.

4. Yahoo

Yahoo Active Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    For all I know you are 6'4" and 280#, play linebacker for the rams (haha), if you can pull the 80 great. But you might want to consider a second bow, lighter poundage, for practice reps, and shoot the big bow a little less and still get good practice in. Just a thought, there is some experience talking to you here. I'm all for what you are wanting to do, but shoulders do wear out

5. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
    I think Winke shoots 80lb, or he did a couple years ago. You can't have too much KE when you hit a matoor swamp donk in the shoulder.

6. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters

Waddel and Lakosky were shooting 80lbs along with a guy who was shooting Martin bows, they all killed things with them. i say "were" as do not know if they still are. Pete Sheply use to hnt with 100lblimbs and 1100 grain arrows
    I have no problem with a guy shooting 80lbs, I just wanna know how someone pulls arrows out of a target butt or 3d target. I do know some places will not let you shoot that much into a 3d target as it blows them apart quickly.

Trailblazer75,What model of Bowtech you shooting?

7. trailblazer75

trailblazer75 Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Invasion.

8. dcdcss

dcdcss Member

Jan 22, 2012
    [​IMG]

9. dcdcss

dcdcss Member

Jan 22, 2012
    [​IMG]

10. dcdcss

dcdcss Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Charts from Gold Tips page, one for bows under 315 fps, other is over 315 fps

11. trailblazer75

trailblazer75 Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Thanks man.

12. Johnny

Johnny Crossbows!!!!

Sep 30, 2010
    Linn Co.
    I shot an 80+ pound bow for over 20 years and used several different arrows. If they claim to be spined for an 80 pound draw, they will work....... or at least they always did for me.
    They only arrows that I would avoid are any of the Carbon Express as they always seemed to break while passing through the deer (even on a perfect broadside shot).

I know that I was always cheating towards the side of disaster but I always shot an arrow (broadhead and all) that ended up weighing 4.3-4.4 grains per pound of pull.
    It's hard to beat the speed, KE, and single pin performance out to 35 yards that 80# limbs offer! And, after 20 years, I still see no reason to look into shoulder surgery :D
    If you can handle 80 pounds, go for it, you wont be disappointed!

13. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    The IBO on the Invasion is 343, then depending on your draw length, go from there...