You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Ask The MDC > (MDC)Deer Hunting Regulations > Felony Bow Hunting Question

Old 02-27-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
WiLL_Hunt

Default Felony Bow Hunting Question

My friend has a felony on his record, no longer on parole/probation and wants to bow hunt. I told him that he should call the local conservation office here in missouri. Well he did and they looked up the staue and said that he could. He wants to go spring turkey hunting with his bow. Is this legal to do? Plus he is worried if they will run his name and find his felony and want to harass him cause he has a felony. I guess he is just worried about cops showing up and searching him and his house/work cause he bought a fire arm tag.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Maconplc

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

It is legal to spring turkey hunt with a recurve or compound bow. See http://mdc.mo.gov/hunt/turkey/sprturk/info.htm for a list of prohibited methods. As long as he is legal to use a bow, he is fine to hunt. I do not know if hunting lisence sales are cross checked to see if felons are purchasing firearms permits. Don't quote me but I doubt they are because there are probably a lot of people who do just as you are describing and hunt the firearms seasons with a bow.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Agent Stephens Clay Co.

Turkeys may be taken only by shotgun with shot no larger than No. 4, or bow. As far as being legal as a felon, your friend needs to check with his old probation officer to find out if he can use a bow. Usually it is ok for a person with a felony on their record to use a bow, but I always tell them to check with their probation officer.