Missouri Whitetails > Whitetail Hunting....... > Whitetails General > FYI: MO deer breeders meet with state reps to ask for no more MDC regulation

Old 08-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
dhaverstick
High-tech Hillbilly

Liked 91 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't think the general public really understands how serious Chronic Wasting Disease is. This stuff is like nuclear waste! It doesn't just rear its ugly head from time to time like EHD. CWD is forever. There is no cure or treatment; all you can do is try to contain it.

It has been shown time and time again that the primary vector for CWD infection into wild deer herds has come from farm-raised deer. Do you think it is a coincidence that the first case found in Missouri's wild deer herd was within spitting distance of a game farm and that this game farm had the first recorded CWD infection in the state?

MDC is asking the legislature to adopt the Conservation Federation of Missouri's Resolution 40 (CFM Resolution #40) Items included in this resolution are stricter fencing regulations and insurance requirements.

Right now, a game farm can fold and essentially walk away from their operation if CWD is detected in their herd leaving the infected animals to be the problem of others. There are also no regulations that I know of that say how the perimeter fences should be constructed and maintained.

Hunting Missouri's wild deer is a very profitable enterprise that generates hundreds of millions of dollars each year for local economies. This money also goes towards habitat and herd management. If you want to see all that money disappear from the state's coffers then just let CWD get a good toehold in our wild deer herd.

If you don't believe me, just ask someone from Wyoming about what happened to their mule deer.

Darren

Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
20 feet high

Liked 1230 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 2707

Quote:
Mdc has no business messing with private business. Just another agency overstepping their bounds..

That is just a ridiculous statement. We empower the MDC to do what is BEST for the wildlife in the state of Missouri. Pretty sure it has been proven that CWD has a DIRECT relation deer enclosures (see Heartland...Macon co.)

There's no problem in the captive herd," explains breeder Sam James in his testimony

REALLY Mr. James??????? Explain to me the Heartland enclosure issues that didn't happen

Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
CyAlumi

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Quote:
Mdc has no business messing with private business. Just another agency overstepping their bounds..

That is just a ridiculous statement. We empower the MDC to do what is BEST for the wildlife in the state of Missouri. Pretty sure it has been proven that CWD has a DIRECT relation deer enclosures (see Heartland...Macon co.)

There's no problem in the captive herd," explains breeder Sam James in his testimony

REALLY Mr. James??????? Explain to me the Heartland enclosure issues that didn't happen

Or the fact that many of these facilities do not even test for CWD. How do you know if you have it or not if you don't test for it?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
20 feet high

Liked 1230 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 2707

Quote:
I don't think the general public really understands how serious Chronic Wasting Disease is. This stuff is like nuclear waste! It doesn't just rear its ugly head from time to time like EHD. CWD is forever. There is no cure or treatment; all you can do is try to contain it.

It has been shown time and time again that the primary vector for CWD infection into wild deer herds has come from farm-raised deer. Do you think it is a coincidence that the first case found in Missouri's wild deer herd was within spitting distance of a game farm and that this game farm had the first recorded CWD infection in the state?

MDC is asking the legislature to adopt the Conservation Federation of Missouri's Resolution 40 (CFM Resolution #40) Items included in this resolution are stricter fencing regulations and insurance requirements.

Right now, a game farm can fold and essentially walk away from their operation if CWD is detected in their herd leaving the infected animals to be the problem of others. There are also no regulations that I know of that say how the perimeter fences should be constructed and maintained.

Hunting Missouri's wild deer is a very profitable enterprise that generates hundreds of millions of dollars each year for local economies. This money also goes towards habitat and herd management. If you want to see all that money disappear from the state's coffers then just let CWD get a good toehold in our wild deer herd.

If you don't believe me, just ask someone from Wyoming about what happened to their mule deer.

Darren

great point, so let's not regulate a few (deer farm operations), yet they infect the herd/affect so many business owners that profit from the annual MDC approved deer seasons.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
Hawk

Liked 1426 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:

Darren

Does anyone know when der were imported to Heartland? Have they been constantly stocking deer since they opened? Does anyone really think that the CWD at Heartland developed there? Or was it imported?

Doesnt it already have a toe hold?

I think that many people do even know about CWD, or they confuse it with EHD, or they just dont care because of all the other "cry wolf" situations that have been revealed in the recent past.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #16
CyAlumi

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Quote:

Darren

Does anyone know when der were imported to Heartland? Have they been constantly stocking deer since they opened? Does anyone really think that the CWD at Heartland developed there? Or was it imported?

Doesnt it already have a toe hold?

I think that many people do even know about CWD, or they confuse it with EHD, or they just dont care because of all the other "cry wolf" situations that have been revealed in the recent past.

I don't think there is much for regulations on keeping a paper trail of transporting deer so who knows

Old 08-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #17
DForbis

Liked 57 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Quote:

That means expensive double fencing and more mandatory testing. The breeders say it will drive them out of business unless they stop doing business under the Missouri Department of Conservation.

"We're working with the Department of Ag, meeting with them; we're going to do business and do it the proper way," Sam James concludes.

If James wants to quit doing business with the MDC I say we let him and revoke all high fenced hunting licenses. If he has to lower his fences to be able to hunt on his place those customers of his might find it harder to shoot that 50,000 dollar deer they picked out of a photo album and paid for.

I couldn't have said it better myself! Sam raises deer to be hunted. He doesn't make money off of his deer because it is being raised for meat or consumption as "agriculture". I understand it costs A LOT to be able to raise pen raised deer, but I don't think there is any denying that CWD is spread by transporting deer from areas that have been infected. I have yet to see our "wild free ranging" deer travel to the northern states and bring back the disease.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 955 Times on 674 Posts

Quote:
[Does anyone know when der were imported to Heartland? Have they been constantly stocking deer since they opened? Does anyone really think that the CWD at Heartland developed there? Or was it imported?

They purchased and released bucks primarily thruout the years leading up to the CWD positive. It was one of several deer tested that year from the facility but I have not heard if they determined the buck to of been a recent release or one that was already there.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #19
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 955 Times on 674 Posts

Quote:
So i am out of the loop on this Henry,tell me this, i watched some video last week about some research being done in wy on testing a epidemic section. Was there any game farms around there to get it started or what,i dont remember them stating that there was so how did it get there?

It originated in Wyoming in research pens. It wasn't a deer farm persay but it was a penned deer facility.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
Woods
Cooyon

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I wonder what other states are doing, is it the AG or Conservation dept controlling it?