Missouri Whitetails > Whitetail Hunting....... > Whitetails General > FYI: MO deer breeders meet with state reps to ask for no more MDC regulation

Old 08-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
deerhunter365

Liked 34 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default FYI: MO deer breeders meet with state reps to ask for no more MDC regulation

FYI-for those who haven’t seen this.

http://www.kspr.com/news/kspr-mo-deer-breeders-meet-with-state-reps-to-ask-for-no-more-mdc-regulation-20130819,0,507025.story

Missouri lawmakers could change the way a growing livelihood is regulated and deer breeders are begging them to.

Monday a committee of state representatives met for the second of four meetings with the deer breeding industry to discuss whether they're in the business of wild life or agriculture. Right now it's wildlife with the Missouri Department of Conservation at the helm, and the MDC and the breeders have been butting heads since 2010.

Inside an auditorium in Buffalo, Missouri, before a committee of state representatives deer breeders from around the area vehemently defend their livelihood against what they call unfounded accusations.

"Currently at this time in Missouri there's a problem in the free ranging herd. There's no problem in the captive herd," explains breeder Sam James in his testimony before the Interim Committee on Chronic Wasting Disease. Its job is to-- you guessed it-- prevent the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease, but the committee could do so much more than that.

It could take power away from the Missouri Department of Conservation and give it completely to the Missouri Department of Agriculture that already regulates disease in deer breeding and high fence hunting facilities. And the state ag director says that regulation has improved since CWD was found in a north Missouri captive herd in 2010.

"Our record keeping is more accurate, our ability to trace animals is more effective and our disease testing protocol is stronger and so when you add those three together the progress we've made over the last three years is tremendous," explains John Hagler.

Breeders voluntarily test 100% of their dead animals; the testing rate on wild deer is just a fraction of that, but the MDC wants more safety measures.

"We have to make sure everything that's going on protects the wild herd and reduces that risk as much as we can," says Mike Hubbard with the MDC.

That means expensive double fencing and more mandatory testing. The breeders say it will drive them out of business unless they stop doing business under the Missouri Department of Conservation.

"We're working with the Department of Ag, meeting with them; we're going to do business and do it the proper way," Sam James concludes.

There are two more public hearings this fall but right now the MDC can implement any regulations it sees fit. That's unless the legislature passes a bill that classifies deer breeding as agriculture, putting it under the Department of ag. That can't happen until, at the earliest, when this next legislative session begings in January.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Jeremy

Liked 214 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Mdc has no business messing with private business. Just another agency overstepping their bounds..

Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
CyAlumi

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Mdc has no business messing with private business. Just another agency overstepping their bounds..

So what is MDA, are they not the 'government' and a regulating authority? Or in this case just the lesser of two evils in your mind? MDC has every right to mess with private business when those businesses pose a threat to the wildlife that is entrusted to the state to manage for the people. MDA doesn't care about diseases in deer because they are not livestock. They also don't make it mandatory that all deer or elk in pens be tested. Testing is only done by those good people that sign up to do so and they do it voluntarely.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 791 Times on 549 Posts

Quote:
Breeders voluntarily test 100% of their dead animals; the testing rate on wild deer is just a fraction of that, but the MDC wants more safety measures.

This is b/s. Only breeders wanting to be certified do this. Many others don't.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 791 Times on 549 Posts

Quote:

That means expensive double fencing and more mandatory testing. The breeders say it will drive them out of business unless they stop doing business under the Missouri Department of Conservation.

"We're working with the Department of Ag, meeting with them; we're going to do business and do it the proper way," Sam James concludes.

If James wants to quit doing business with the MDC I say we let him and revoke all high fenced hunting licenses. If he has to lower his fences to be able to hunt on his place those customers of his might find it harder to shoot that 50,000 dollar deer they picked out of a photo album and paid for.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
CyAlumi

I would say there is a VERY small percentage that test their deer or elk. Heck, I have to hand it to Heartland, the reason MDC found out early of CWD is because Heartland volunterily tested that hunter shot buck. That gave MDC a early jump to increase testing. I wonder why other pen facilities chose not to test, is it because they don't want to know if they have CWD. I know Heartland got a bad name from showing the first case of CWD in the state and I doubt they wanted that.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Reflex

Liked 309 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Why do we even need deer breaders?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
trapperBR549

Liked 1283 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 1554

Quote:

Not if you are going to grill it. If you plan to fry it I want mine breaded.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
coyotehunter
PURE KILLER

Liked 473 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 1941

So i am out of the loop on this Henry,tell me this, i watched some video last week about some research being done in wy on testing a epidemic section. Was there any game farms around there to get it started or what,i dont remember them stating that there was so how did it get there?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
CyAlumi

Quote:

I personally don't but it has become a business. I really don't want to see a bunch of good people lose a business but it might weed out the bad apples if MDC put in place tighter restrictions. things are just too lose from what I have researched. If they want to raise deer or elk, that is fine but here are the restrictions, either follow them or not. They have restrictions for livestock to protect people, why not for penned wildlife?