Missouri Whitetails > Ask The MDC > (MDC)Deer Hunting Regulations > Baiting Question...With a Twist

Old 02-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
tarbe

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Baiting Question...With a Twist

I am a non-resident land owner.

I have had motion cameras on my 80 acres since last September.

I have several pictures of people carrying guns and obviously hunting on my land.

I am reluctant to post the land, because I have been told the locals will resent this blatant attempt to keep them off land they may have hunted for years.

I have thought about putting some corn feeders out, so that any deer hunting would now be considered illegal.

Do hunters in general in MO consider feeders as kryptonite? Will they avoid my land rather than risk hunting near a feeder? Or am I likely to just lose a feeder?

I realize this is hypothetical...and sorry if this is not posted in the best sub-forum.

Absent and Frustrated

Old 02-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
MDC Deer

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts

I suggest you work through the conservation agent in your county. I'm afraid that what you are suggesting might only serve to make the problem worse.

FYI: it is illegal to knowingly put someone else in violation of the baiting regulations.

Next time you are at your property take some extra time out to knock on some doors and meet the neighbors. Let them know who you are and get to know you a little. This can help greatly. You might luck out and find a neighbor that's easy to work with and will keep an eye on things for you.

good luck.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Maconplc

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, I do not have a really good answer to your question. I don't think baiting will deter someone who is already breaking the law by trespassing. If I wanted to keep people off my land, I would start by posting it. I would also make it known that I intend to prosecute violators. Depending on what type of individuals are doing the trespassing, hopefully you will not have any issues. I have seen cases where land got posted and soon after, their hunting cabin was broken into and trashed, etc. In each of those instances, the land was posted as soon as it was purchased so the vandalism/thefts may have happened even without posting the land.

Trespass is a difficult issue to deal with but I do not think baiting would solve anything for you.