You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > General Info, How To and FAQ's > Goals & Objectives >

Food plots

Old 07-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
Benjamin1997

Default Food plots

What's a good food plot to put in around this time of year?

Old 07-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
beanpile
just a no body

Liked 843 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 1904

clover/Brassicas

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that there is something else more important than fear.
henry Likes This 
Old 07-17-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
DForbis

Liked 266 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 95

wait a few weeks and plant turnips and radishes

Old 07-18-2017, 01:03 AM   #4
gurgalunas

Liked 776 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 524

Tell us more about the plot locations, soil, surrounding cover etc. What equipment do you have available? Lots of options for fall plots. Regardless of what you plant, now is the time to get started cleaning of weeds and doing soil prep. Spray glyphosate on unmowed weeds now (chem kills by entering through leaves. Mow leaves off first and you won't have a good kill). Give 2 weeks for weeds to die, then do whatever soil prep and fertilizing are needed, then plant.

Assuming we are planting for fall and winter food source, here is a list of stuff to work with...

Fall crops for early August planting: brassicas (turnips, radishes, rape, kale, etc), crimson clover, winter peas, hairy vetch

fall crops for mid September planting: cereal grains- oats, wheat, barley, triticale, rye (not rye grass)

perennials that can be fall planted, but grow for following year: red clover, white/ladino clover, chicory, alfalfa

Old 07-18-2017, 01:36 AM   #5
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 7853 Times on 5235 Posts
Likes Given: 748

A little off topic but.

I was scouting for cyst nematode on my plot today . At rats suggestion I got samples and went to mu site for diagnosis instructions.

In the process I found out there are host plants that will help cyst carryover.

Worth looking at when choosing rotation for beans.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:45 AM   #6
dw84

Liked 438 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurgalunas View Post
Tell us more about the plot locations, soil, surrounding cover etc. What equipment do you have available? Lots of options for fall plots. Regardless of what you plant, now is the time to get started cleaning of weeds and doing soil prep. Spray glyphosate on unmowed weeds now (chem kills by entering through leaves. Mow leaves off first and you won't have a good kill). Give 2 weeks for weeds to die, then do whatever soil prep and fertilizing are needed, then plant.

Assuming we are planting for fall and winter food source, here is a list of stuff to work with...

Fall crops for early August planting: brassicas (turnips, radishes, rape, kale, etc), crimson clover, winter peas, hairy vetch

fall crops for mid September planting: cereal grains- oats, wheat, barley, triticale, rye (not rye grass)

perennials that can be fall planted, but grow for following year: red clover, white/ladino clover, chicory, alfalfa
I'm wanting to plant the Ladino clover this year and as a perennial I know I won't really have a stand till next year so then I would put a cover crop over it like wheat is that correct? Then in the late spring or early summer mow it before it heads or would I let it head before mowing it ?

Old 07-18-2017, 04:09 AM   #7
gurgalunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw84 View Post
I'm wanting to plant the Ladino clover this year and as a perennial I know I won't really have a stand till next year so then I would put a cover crop over it like wheat is that correct? Then in the late spring or early summer mow it before it heads or would I let it head before mowing it ?
I think timing/need for mowing will depend on how thick the wheat is. I plant wheat really heavy when it goes down as a plot for deer or geese. Seeing it mature, I think it would smother clover. If I saw the nurse crop wheat coming in that thick, i might mow it high a little early.

If planting a plot as clover with nurse crop, I'd cut back on cereal rate. That way, it would be thinner and you could let it stand all summer to take up real estate that might otherwise be room for weeds. It will also filter sunlight so clover doesn't take as much full sun/heat in its first year. I usually mow a wheat/clover field or mature clover at first break in heat, watching as much for a drop in overnight lows as daytime highs. This gives a little relief to the stressed clover, and reduces the stress of mowing. Getting the wheat out then, and cutting the old growth clover pushes a prime flush of tender clover. Deer hammer it and Turkeys are usually all over the mowed wheat...

I haven't really paid attention to sowing rate with wheat. Since a lot of what I do is over the top of earlier planted brassicas, beans or CC, I still put it down heavy, figuring my germ success will be limited without working into the soil. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm not. Might ask others here for a nurse crop rate.

Btw, while I have done the nurse crop method, I usually plant perennial clover the same time and place as brassicas and CC. The rest of that stuff dies in the spring, leaving the perennial remaining. I get the benefit of a fully stocked smorgasbord in fall but still get clover the following year. If I have extra clover seed, I might walk the plot in Feb to dormant seed it, just to cover good. The fall planted seed fills in early and dormant seeded comes on later.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:12 AM   #8
gurgalunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
A little off topic but.

I was scouting for cyst nematode on my plot today . At rats suggestion I got samples and went to mu site for diagnosis instructions.

In the process I found out there are host plants that will help cyst carryover.

Worth looking at when choosing rotation for beans.
Care to share more or give a link? I'm interested...
WBF Likes This 
Old 07-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 7853 Times on 5235 Posts
Likes Given: 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurgalunas View Post
Care to share more or give a link? I'm interested...
I didn't save the link and would have to do a search. I just searched soybean cyst diagnosis and the MU page came up first.

Scroll down and there will be a column on the right of non host plants followed by a list of host plants.

Since so many like myself like the soybeans it could help avoid issues.

People Like This