You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Community Forum > Social Club >

Garden soil test HELP !!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #11
rat
Legbone

Liked 9785 Times on 5643 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpile View Post
your one of them ..fertilize and go uh?
Seeings how he is not going to be able to do much to amend the pH in the short few weeks before he starts planting, I'd tend to lean this way also.
I'd still put down some lime if I had the time and inclination, if not I'd put it in this fall and till it under.

Crossbow neutralist

Old 03-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #12
tcwild

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Is it going to hurt anything to put all the lime down now or is it a waste?

Old 03-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
tcwild

Well I called the soil guy at the extension office and he managed to confuse me even more. So basically I need 2 1/2 lbs of N, 7 1/2 lbs of P and 1 1/2 lbs of K. So I'm looking for 10-30-5 fertilizer, has anyone ever seen that? Or I can do as suggested and throw down a bag of 12-12-12 and go to town. Most of what I planted did better than I expected last year except the watermelons and the cantalopes didn't have much flavor. But beans, corn and maters did good.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:18 PM   #14
nastyjack63

Liked 1222 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 465

You're over thinking this, It's a garden. Like has been said triple 12 and plant. Throw some lime on and till it in either before planting or this fall.
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #15
DougC

Liked 368 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 2458

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpile View Post
your one of them ..fertilize and go uh?
According to his soil test, what I said was not too far off! But yes...

Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #16
rat
Legbone

Just worry about how much N to put down. Or, you can go to an elevator or coop and have a custom blend done but not sure they will do that in 10# batches.
You can put the lime down now, absolutely. It takes a while to neutralize soil acidity though but no, it wont hurt anything.
His recommendation for N is 1 pound actual N for 1000 square feet. Since you have 2400 square feet, 1X(2400/1000) = 2.4# of ACTUAL N on the entire garden.
To determine how much ACTUAL N is in a bag of fertilizer, do this:
Say you have a 50# bag of 12-12-12. In each 50# bag, 12 percent is N, 12 % is P ad 12% is K. So, 50X(12/100) = 6 pounds of actual N, actual P and actual K in that bag.

If you want to target 2.5#, apply 20 pounds of that fertilizer. (50/6)X2.4 = 20#. Or, as DougC said, just put down a 40# bag which will target 2# N and have a happy day.

Don't worry about the P and K unless it is easy enough to find a fertilizer that has about 3X the P as it does N. Most of the reason your P looks low is because your pH is in a range that is making the P unavailable. Get your pH back towards 6.5 over time and it will make P that is already there more plant-available. Applying a bunch more now will just more than likely get tied up along with whatever is already there. pH below about 6 has phosphorous reacting iron, aluminum and (imagine this as seen in adequate supply in your test report) magnesium. When this happens, P is a lot less water soluble and thus much less available for plant uptake. There is a DIRECT relationship between the abundance of magnesium in your report and the scarcity of plant-available P. Neutralize the pH over time and this will change.

Crossbow neutralist
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #17
tcwild

Thanks guys !! so improving the PH is just a matter of adding N and OM and it will get better over time?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #18
rat
Legbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwild View Post
Thanks guys !! so improving the PH is just a matter of adding N and OM and it will get better over time?
No, lime is what will adjust your pH but it is a relatively slow process. Lime it now if you can get it applied and incorporated, it may show some returns this year yet.
Once the lime brings your pH more neutral (say 6.5 or so), P already in the soil will become more soluble and thus more available for plant uptake. Over-application of P can overcome P deficiencies temporarily, but once it is subjected to the phosphorous cycle in the soil, it will become bound in insoluble forms until the pH is more neutral.

Applying P in situations where it will just get tied up and not utilized is a bit like taking a multi-vitamin that has more nutrients than your body can utilize... in the end all you are doing is making expensive urine.

Crossbow neutralist
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #19
tcwild

OK got it Thank You

Old 03-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #20
trapperBR549

Liked 8491 Times on 4522 Posts
Likes Given: 15479

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat View Post
No, lime is what will adjust your pH but it is a relatively slow process. Lime it now if you can get it applied and incorporated, it may show some returns this year yet.
Once the lime brings your pH more neutral (say 6.5 or so), P already in the soil will become more soluble and thus more available for plant uptake. Over-application of P can overcome P deficiencies temporarily, but once it is subjected to the phosphorous cycle in the soil, it will become bound in insoluble forms until the pH is more neutral.

Applying P in situations where it will just get tied up and not utilized is a bit like taking a multi-vitamin that has more nutrients than your body can utilize... in the end all you are doing is making expensive urine.
Good info rat. I've mad expensive urine out of scotch before.