You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Community Forum > Social Club >

materbuilt smoker trouble. please help with suggestions

Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
Perry

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I have one of the Masterbuilt smokers, it says Sportsman Elite on the front door. I believe the heating element in it is 1500 watt. Nothing is digital or automatic on it. So far no trouble with it, this is it's second year. I seldom turn the heat control over halfway or the temp. gets too high. I use a 12 gage cord on it. I have heard that those GFI plugins get weak over the years.

Old 04-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #12
OutbackBio

Liked 3223 Times on 2111 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meller View Post
Yes, in the rear, behind the plate. My masterbuilt has burned off 2 sets of connectors, one time energizing the entire unit so it would shock you if you touched the metal door latch. That would trip GFI for sure

Had to replace the heating element on mine too. The connections fried. So far so good, knock on wood!

Old 04-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #13
h_callahan

Liked 600 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 2157

Quote:
Yes, in the rear, behind the plate. My masterbuilt has burned off 2 sets of connectors, one time energizing the entire unit so it would shock you if you touched the metal door latch. That would trip GFI for sure

i think this is the problem. thanks everyone
Meller Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #14
Meller

Liked 2711 Times on 1421 Posts
Likes Given: 1596

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_callahan View Post
i think this is the problem. thanks everyone

When you open it up be careful with the blade connectors on the element and you might be able to salvage the element itself and just replace the leads and connectors. If you order a new element it comes with new leads too. I've replaced mine twice.

Long burns with a full load of deer sausage is too much prolonged heat for the connectors.
h_callahan Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
h_callahan

Liked 600 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 2157

Quote:
When you open it up be careful with the blade connectors on the element and you might be able to salvage the element itself and just replace the leads and connectors. If you order a new element it comes with new leads too. I've replaced mine twice.

Long burns with a full load of deer sausage is too much prolonged heat for the connectors.

I have done a lot of long burns so this makes sense. did you order parts from masterbuilt or got them from somewhere else?

thanks

Old 04-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #16
Meller

Liked 2711 Times on 1421 Posts
Likes Given: 1596

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_callahan View Post
I have done a lot of long burns so this makes sense. did you order parts from masterbuilt or got them from somewhere else?

thanks
The problem isn't necessarily the long cook time, just that the burner can be "on" for hours trying to get a smoker of cold meat back up to temp.

Once I called masterbuilt and they sold me a replacement. The other time I just googled and ordered online.
h_callahan Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #17
Roscoe Dog

Liked 150 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I was given one with that problem. I bought high temp connectors and high temp wire. Soldered the connections and no problems with it over the 6 years that I have had it. The original connectors are crap and once they are burnt up they act like a resistor and draws more amps.
People Like This 
Old 04-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #18
Beards-n-Spurs

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 313

www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/247269/masterbuilt-and-gfci
Old 04-24-2017, 12:15 AM   #19
coyotehunter
PURE KILLER

Liked 2792 Times on 1642 Posts
Likes Given: 3783

Well all this talk made me scared of mine about 12 years old now so i looked at them at bp and menards today and then stopped at wally world and low and behold they had one for 99 dollars Well two csm,s later I walked out with one. I bet that sign is down now.lol Got it going now on three hour burn off so far so good.

Thinking about putting one of those cold smoke adapters on this one that smokes for up to six hours on one feeding. That's the only problem I have is not enough smoke on lower temp cooking.

Anybody got one and what do they think of it ?

We never say ‘we hope we catch fish.’ We just wonder how many and how big the fish are going to be that we put in the boat.”
People Like This 
Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 AM   #20
OutbackBio

Liked 3223 Times on 2111 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotehunter View Post
Well all this talk made me scared of mine about 12 years old now so i looked at them at bp and menards today and then stopped at wally world and low and behold they had one for 99 dollars Well two csm,s later I walked out with one. I bet that sign is down now.lol Got it going now on three hour burn off so far so good.

Thinking about putting one of those cold smoke adapters on this one that smokes for up to six hours on one feeding. That's the only problem I have is not enough smoke on lower temp cooking.

Anybody got one and what do they think of it ?

I just use my AMAZ N SMOKE TUBE when I want to cold smoke.