You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Community Forum > Social Club >

materbuilt smoker trouble. please help with suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
Perry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Live in Ripley, hunt in Ralls Co.
Posts: 242
Liked 34 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

I have one of the Masterbuilt smokers, it says Sportsman Elite on the front door. I believe the heating element in it is 1500 watt. Nothing is digital or automatic on it. So far no trouble with it, this is it's second year. I seldom turn the heat control over halfway or the temp. gets too high. I use a 12 gage cord on it. I have heard that those GFI plugins get weak over the years.


Perry is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #12
OutbackBio
Senior Member
 
OutbackBio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mornington VIC Australia
Posts: 13,186
Liked 3201 Times on 2099 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meller View Post
Yes, in the rear, behind the plate. My masterbuilt has burned off 2 sets of connectors, one time energizing the entire unit so it would shock you if you touched the metal door latch. That would trip GFI for sure

Had to replace the heating element on mine too. The connections fried. So far so good, knock on wood!


__________________
Unemployed and living every minute of it!
OutbackBio is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:36 PM   #13
h_callahan
Senior Member
 
h_callahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: warren county
Posts: 4,619
Liked 587 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 2111

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meller View Post
Yes, in the rear, behind the plate. My masterbuilt has burned off 2 sets of connectors, one time energizing the entire unit so it would shock you if you touched the metal door latch. That would trip GFI for sure

i think this is the problem. thanks everyone
h_callahan is offline  
Meller Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #14
Meller
Senior Member
 
Meller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,376
Liked 2672 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1578

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_callahan View Post
i think this is the problem. thanks everyone

When you open it up be careful with the blade connectors on the element and you might be able to salvage the element itself and just replace the leads and connectors. If you order a new element it comes with new leads too. I've replaced mine twice.

Long burns with a full load of deer sausage is too much prolonged heat for the connectors.
Meller is offline  
h_callahan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
h_callahan
Senior Member
 
h_callahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: warren county
Posts: 4,619
Liked 587 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 2111

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meller View Post
When you open it up be careful with the blade connectors on the element and you might be able to salvage the element itself and just replace the leads and connectors. If you order a new element it comes with new leads too. I've replaced mine twice.

Long burns with a full load of deer sausage is too much prolonged heat for the connectors.

I have done a lot of long burns so this makes sense. did you order parts from masterbuilt or got them from somewhere else?

thanks
h_callahan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #16
Meller
Senior Member
 
Meller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,376
Liked 2672 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1578

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_callahan View Post
I have done a lot of long burns so this makes sense. did you order parts from masterbuilt or got them from somewhere else?

thanks
The problem isn't necessarily the long cook time, just that the burner can be "on" for hours trying to get a smoker of cold meat back up to temp.


Once I called masterbuilt and they sold me a replacement. The other time I just googled and ordered online.
Meller is offline  
h_callahan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #17
Roscoe Dog
Senior Member
 
Roscoe Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Maryland Heights,Mo
Posts: 2,811
Liked 150 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

I was given one with that problem. I bought high temp connectors and high temp wire. Soldered the connections and no problems with it over the 6 years that I have had it. The original connectors are crap and once they are burnt up they act like a resistor and draws more amps.
Roscoe Dog is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:57 PM   #18
Beards-n-Spurs
Senior Member
 
Beards-n-Spurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,033
Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 284

Default

www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/247269/masterbuilt-and-gfci
__________________
www.ferociouscalls.com/
Beards-n-Spurs is offline  
h_callahan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:15 AM   #19
coyotehunter
PURE KILLER
 
coyotehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: mexico,mo.
Posts: 36,408
Liked 2742 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3745

Default

Well all this talk made me scared of mine about 12 years old now so i looked at them at bp and menards today and then stopped at wally world and low and behold they had one for 99 dollars Well two csm,s later I walked out with one. I bet that sign is down now.lol Got it going now on three hour burn off so far so good.

Thinking about putting one of those cold smoke adapters on this one that smokes for up to six hours on one feeding. That's the only problem I have is not enough smoke on lower temp cooking.

Anybody got one and what do they think of it ?
__________________
remember it is just the internet

We never say ‘we hope we catch fish.’ We just wonder how many and how big the fish are going to be that we put in the boat.”
coyotehunter is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:36 AM   #20
OutbackBio
Senior Member
 
OutbackBio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mornington VIC Australia
Posts: 13,186
Liked 3201 Times on 2099 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotehunter View Post
Well all this talk made me scared of mine about 12 years old now so i looked at them at bp and menards today and then stopped at wally world and low and behold they had one for 99 dollars Well two csm,s later I walked out with one. I bet that sign is down now.lol Got it going now on three hour burn off so far so good.

Thinking about putting one of those cold smoke adapters on this one that smokes for up to six hours on one feeding. That's the only problem I have is not enough smoke on lower temp cooking.

Anybody got one and what do they think of it ?

I just use my AMAZ N SMOKE TUBE when I want to cold smoke.


__________________
Unemployed and living every minute of it!
OutbackBio is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fired up the smoker this morning ( now with smoker/grill pics) yankee Just Good Food 20 07-10-2011 06:52 PM
Please oh Please oh Please JohnTheSlayer Duck & Goose Hunting 8 11-16-2010 12:53 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ THIS..... Mailman For Sale Archives 4 09-26-2010 12:20 PM
Oh. I'm in trouble.......... oh so much trouble......... mrb Social Club 2011 15 12-08-2008 02:20 AM