You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of Missouriwhitetails.com!    
Missouri Whitetails > Whitetail Hunting....... > Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation >

Growing Chinese Chestnuts in Containers

Old 01-18-2017, 03:10 AM   #171
Gamegetter
Administrator
MWT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1350 Times on 847 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Send a message via AIM to Gamegetter

So no concerns with going from a nut with tap root direct seeding into ground of permanent location with a 5' tube sunk into the ground about 6 inches?

My favorite thing to wear in the spring is a boss gobbler "shawl" draped over my shoulder.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:09 AM   #172
gurgalunas

Liked 679 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Good plan, not sure you need to sink tube 6". Possible issue with lack of moisture? You would be limiting water for 6" deep, only water that falls down tube would get inside that 6" zone. May be or may not be a problem... Likely the main issue would be drying out in first few weeks before root grows out 6+". I'd think 3" should be adequate to protect from most rodents, and minimize the artificial drought risk. I only do 1-2" with the tube, but have seen a few nuts disappear too...

Old 01-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #173
wbpdeer

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Not 6 Inches Because ...

Regarding the tree tube and the depth, you want 2 or 3 inches in the soil. I stick that chestnut 1 inch below the top of ground.

At some point, you will take the tree tube up to hand prune any competition that grows inside and outside the tube. With 6 inches of soil it is hard to prevent the chestnut and soil coming up with the tree tube.

One advice on the moisture issue, put just about 1 inch of peat moss on top of the ground above the chestnut in the tree tube. This will help with the moisture retention. You can wet the peat moss before you put it in place.

Trust in your direct seedling - especially if your chestnut has a radicle showing before you direct seed. You want a location that get fun sun and will not have standing water if you get a rain of 1.5 to 2.0 inches.

Regarding pulling a tree tube to remove competition, I use broom handle to work the soil loss around the outside of the tube and inside the tube.

Good luck with your chestnuts.

Wayne

One Thousand Chestnut Trees Project

Old 01-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #174
Gamegetter
Administrator
MWT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1350 Times on 847 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Send a message via AIM to Gamegetter

Thanks for replies. I was worried that not enough sun would get down that far, but sounds like I will be ok if planted in open area.

My favorite thing to wear in the spring is a boss gobbler "shawl" draped over my shoulder.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #175
wbpdeer

Default Soil Temperature

The sun's energy is important. Air temperatures play a part too.

I know when the soil warms up the direct seeded chestnuts will get rolling and you can expect to see some top growth.

Prior to the top growth, the root is started in the ground.

I like planting the chestnut 1 inch deep to help reduce the smell for the nose of critters that will rob us.

If the place has sunlight - things will come together. If it is extremely dry, put enough water down the tree tubes to leave a 1/4 to 1/2 of water in the bottom of the tube.

That will help keep the chestnut moist as it gets going.

I water in a chestnut when it is direct seeded. I think direct seeded chestnuts certainly have an advantage if the tap root get established before a hot summer. Spring time temps and rainfall can influence how that plays out.

Good luck.

Wayne

Old 02-10-2017, 10:48 PM   #176
gurgalunas

Liked 679 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 436

I pulled my chestnut drawer out of the fridge on Tuesday to start the germination process. There had been 15-20 discarded over the winter months due to mold growing, but that's normal for me. I noticed a couple weeks ago that the damp moss had frozen in the drawer, so I raised the temp a little in the fridge to let them thaw. I set the drawer on my kitchen table at the cabin, which gets some morning sun. I checked them today (Friday) on a lark, as it usually takes a few weeks of warmer temps to sprout. I pulled out 75 nuts that were sprouting the radicle already, with only 30 that showed no sign of germination. I put the 75 in a bag and returned to the fridge to slow them down until I get materials ready for potting. Hope to use the last couple RM trays I have left this weekend, and will borrow a few trays from FatDan, who isn't using them this year. Thanks a bunch, Dan-o!

I'll take some pics this weekend as I work them up. They will be posted in my old thread I tracked my methods and success in previously so I can keep all my info together in one place...

Old 02-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #177
truehunter

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Wbpdeer , what size nut wizard do you use th harvest medium or large ?

Old 04-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #178
wbpdeer

Default Size for Chestnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehunter View Post
Wbpdeer , what size nut wizard do you use th harvest medium or large ?
I was given mine so I don't have a recollection of purchase. The website that I always looked at - they detail the size and what it is appropriate to collect.

Mine sure works exactly as intended for chestnuts. No more walking like Frankenstein with the stiff legs and sore back.

Sorry I have been occupied with other things and don't respond in a timely manner.

Wayne

Old 04-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #179
wbpdeer

Default Next Week - Moving Seedlings out of 18s

This year I got started two weeks later in January that normal. Going to have a wet weekend in middle TN so next week I will start moving seedlings out of the 18s and to large containers or their final location.

This year I have added "Swamp White Oak" and "Bur" to my inventory. Both of them great extremely well like the chestnut. I am excited to get them on the farm at multiple locations.

The next two generations will get the benefit of watching them mature and positively impact their hunting plans.

Got an email from Missouri Whitetails checking up on me. Well I am still kicking around. Thanks for the check up.

Hope everyone that turkey hunts is stacking them up. My son is one bird away from a TN limit and a KY limit. He is quite good at it. Me I have not been.

Wayne

Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #180
henry
Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Liked 7501 Times on 4996 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Get out there and have some fun. I got out this morning. Birds aren't gobbling and I'm still having a lot more fun than I do at work.